Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano I-Spec A/B shifter identification?
  • lornholio
    Free Member

I’ve put some new Zee brakes on the bike this week – all good but my existing Zee shifter position is pretty awkward now because of where the shorter brake levers sit. Shifter inside the lever is a bit of a stretch and if outside it rubs on my fingers which is even worse.

So an I-Spec shifter could work nicely and also neaten up the bars. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap XT/Saint/SLX type-B shifter on eBay/etc but very few identify the shifters as type-A or type-B, just “I-Spec”. The Zee levers are type B so can only take a type B shifter.

How can a type A/B be identified visually from a photo? Even better, anyone care to post photos of an A and B to illustrate? Searching for a while didn’t provide me with the answer!

shredder
    Free Member

This thread has a diagram showing the differences.

lornholio
    Free Member

This thread has a diagram showing the differences.

Bingo! Must not have been searching for the right combination of words, cheers.

So a type-A shifter is the “Conventional type” with a protrusion beside the bolt hole and type-B is the “New type” without said protrusion? That’s it?

shredder
    Free Member

Yup

stoddys
    Free Member

Q?

So is it as simple as cutting off the little lug on the A fitting to make it work on B brakes?

lornholio
    Free Member

So is it as simple as cutting off the little lug on the A fitting to make it work on B brakes?

I doubt it, or it would surely be publicised online. I’m not willing to try it, but if anyone could confirm then that will make my life easier!

mrjmt
    Free Member

think the pin thing that attaches to the lever is also different

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano I-Spec A/B shifter identification?’ is closed to new replies.