Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • shimano hub bearing replacement
  • gnusmas

need to change bearings in front and rear hubs and was wandering, is there likely to be anything else that might need replacing/worn inside the hub when this gets done? bearings are completely shot (slight side to side wobble and grinding noise)

cheers

MisterT

might find the hubs are shot 🙁

depends on the model of hub. the higher end hubs have replaceable bearing races, but the cheaper ones don't
    if the races are pitted (inner is pressed into hub, outer is screwed onto spindle) then they must be replaced if you want to do a proper job

gnusmas

saint m800 hubs, i got them like it and was wandering if its worth sorting them out or not

MisterT

need one of these then Saint Hub tool

gnusmas

yep for starters, hence why am wandering if it is worth doing or not. might be easier (and cheaper) in the long run to get a different set of wheels.

price of bearings too (not much i know but it all adds up), possibly cones maybe even a hub. i can't rebuild a wheel (never tried) so price could spiral out of control

MisterT

defo one for LBS imo. shouldn't cost to much to do, since it's easy to do in half an hour if you have the tools.

spock
    Free Member

Buy some superstar switch hubs and stick em on.

gnusmas

got a quote of £60 – £70 to service hubs and replace bearings but if it needs other things too???

gnusmas

yeah, been looking at superstar website, thats what got me thinking is it better to replace then repair on this occasion?

spock
    Free Member

the shimano freehubs are what keeps me away, useless, the superstar hubs are excellent value, like cheap hope hubs. Same sorta design just lesser quality. Well made tho

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘shimano hub bearing replacement’ is closed to new replies.