• This topic has 48 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Shimano HT2 bottom brackets – how long do yours last?
  • jonnouk
    Free Member

1st deore lasted a weekend of a v’wet & gritty Afan. The drive-side seized solid. Current set has lasted me 8mths but it’s making weird, regular, clicking noises.

BillOddie

My last XT one last 9 months and about 2500km.
    I don’t jet wash my bikes, they get the occasional proper wash with muck off etc but probably only every couple of months. the rest of the time I just brush the dried mud off and clean and lube the drive train.

Where I ride most isn’t overly gritty though.

I have cheap spares bin Deore one in at the mo, so we will see how long that one lasts.

They always die on the driveside.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 sets of XTR HTII BB’s last at least 15,000km, ridden in all weathers, through the odd Winter flood etc with no maintenance. Very impressed with the duarability of XTR BB’s.

…on the other hand my first FSA PF30 BB is starting to feel slightly ‘draggy’ after 1200km… hmmm.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Enduro bearings, not just me then?

Deore BBs IMO benefit from being greased prior to use, not impressed with Shimanos greaseless technology.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…not impressed with Shimanos greaseless technology.

Not all moves forward are moves in the right direction. 😉

Anyone out there use a Chris King external? Still oddly tempted by one…

dannyh
    Free Member

Adjusted properly with just enough preload I can get just over six months out of SLX ones. Replacing them isn’t too much of a pain, though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Shimano tend to last me a year.

Raceface tend to last me minutes.

I’ve found bearing life on various press fit BB’s to be comparable to Raceface’s best offerings. I.e. sh*t.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

While I know that Shimano HT2 BBs aren’t the most reliable in the world, I understand why and appreciate the physics behind them and the design constrictions placed upon them.

Press-fit BBs however just have me shivering horribly remembering the BMX BBs of old.

tomd
    Free Member

My 29er rigid things is 9 months old, now on 3rd HTII BB. Done around 1500km off road.

BB shell has a hole so no water, fitted and pre-loaded as per instructions. They just end up seizing solid once the grease has washed out, then last a couple of months after that before the friction increases and they need binned.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Shimano HT2 bottom brackets – how long do yours last?’ is closed to new replies.