Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano Freehub Body
  • mackenru

Hi folks

The splined mounting for a Shimano Freehub Body, is it a standard fixing? I’ve got a cheapy wheel on my commuter bike and the Freehub is a little gubbed. Being lazy by asking you lot as opposed to taking it off for looking for a part number. Just wanting to know if I can just get the “cheapest” 9sp Shimano Freehub Body and it will fit ok.

Cheers

Ruairidh

Baznav
    Free Member

Shimano are generally the same fitting bar one or two but there are lots of different freehubs, you need the part no to order the correct one.

coatesy
    Free Member

As above, some are a straight swap, some can be bodged to fit with different spacers/seal housing/cones etc, and some just won’t, ie 7sp is too narrow to take 8/9/10sp cassette(though work the other way, with spacer bodging), RM prefix hubs have a female/male interface rather than the normal male /female generally found.CRC had some Deore 510 hubs, non disc, but with decent seals, on sale recently, think they were about £8.50 each, and an ideal source for freehub & axle swappage (if compatible, or a hub swap if not)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FOG

I had problems getting the correct XT free hub and bodged a cheapy from the lbs. There seem to be subtle differences in seal positioning between various sorts but a little creativity like swapping the metal seal retainer from the old one can produce a workable cheap alternative. It all leads you to ask why don’t they produce a common part but of course I think you need to make a distance between group sets to charge more money

mackenru

Thanks for all the responses, guess I’ll have to stop being lazy and take the thing off again and hunt out the part number on it…

Cheers

perthmtb
    Free Member

The splined mounting for a Shimano Freehub Body, is it a standard fixing? I’ve got a cheapy wheel on my commuter bike and the Freehub is a little gubbed. Being lazy by asking you lot as opposed to taking it off for looking for a part number. Just wanting to know if I can just get the “cheapest” 9sp Shimano Freehub Body and it will fit ok.

I’m interpreting your post a little differently to those above. I’m assuming you’ve got a no-name hub & freehub which you’re fitting a shimano cassette to? In which case – the freehub is specific to the hub – and if it’s a no-name cheapie hub, it won’t take a Shimano freehub.

Best find out who made the hub and try and find someone who stocks an exact replacement.

Also, I had to replace a Shimano XT freehub recently, and found it was cheaper to buy a whole new hub and strip it for parts than buy just the freehub, and I got spare axle, bearings, QR into the bargain.

mackenru

Hi perthmtb

Basically I have a cheap MTB rear wheel on my commute bike with a basic Shimano branded 9spd hub. I’ve stripped it a couple of times to service the bearings but now the freehub is slipping a bit. Once the pawls catch it is fine so I’m not too hindered by it – yet. I’ve subsequently taken off the freehub body by using a largish allen key inside it to remove it and found a kinda splined interface between it and the hub. It does look like a self contained component and I couldn’t see an obvious/easy way of taking it apart to clean the pawls etc.

When I search for Shimano Freehub body in CRC (say) I see a number of options, many of which appear to have the same splined interface and was just wondering if I could buy the cheapest one and it would happily fit. Will take it off again and see if I can locate a part no and see what Mr Google finds for me…

Cheers

Ruairidh

mackenru

So no part number found, but googled the hub which is FH-RM65 and the freehub body is part number Y-3CT 98040…

headpotdog
    Free Member

I’ve tried to track down an SLX freehub recently and they simply aren’t in stock anywhere until December so I’ve bought a new hub to get the part from. Bike-discount.com was the cheapest place I could find by the way. Might be for your part too 😉

perthmtb
    Free Member

So no part number found, but googled the hub which is FH-RM65 and the freehub body is part number Y-3CT 98040

Ah, Ok. Well as others have said, Shimano freehubs aren’t really interchangeable, so take that part number and try your LBS to see what they’ve got in their parts bin. If they’ve not got anything in stock they can order you one from Madison, but as I and headpotdog have said, might be cheaper to buy a whole new hub, and have other spares for free.

mackenru

SJS Cycles stock them according to their site

mattsccm
    Free Member

I’ll stir things up.
    The spline at the back of the freehub is mostly common. Find another cheap hub and its likely to be the same. Remember that a 7 speed freehub is different to 8/9/10.
    You can bugger about with the seals. dust cover, cones etc to pretty well do what you want.
    Why not lurk around skips, LBS junk heaps etc and find a crisped wheel?

coatesy
    Free Member

Not a common spline on RM65 type hubs, techdocs reckon it’s only compatible with the RM60. They’re definitely not compatible with the earlier FH-M type hubs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Freehub Body’ is closed to new replies.