• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano freehub, wobbly after 100 miles
  • greigb
    Free Member

Evening.

Recently bought a bike that came with a Shimano M-475 rear hub. I’ve done about 100 miles on it so far, and when I was fettling this evening I noticed a reasonable amount of play in the freehub. Definitely not a loose cassette; lockring was cranked and the play was there with cassette off.

Is that normal? I’m under no illusion that the hub is more than a budget number, but I’m still a bit surprised it’s gone after half a dozen rides. If they’re just crap hubs then fair f*cks, I’ll use it ’til it dies. Is there a better freehub I could replace it with that will fit, XT or something?

5lab

you could probably just tighten the bearings up a bit? Maybe it was a touch loose from the factory

mickmcd
    Free Member

had one of these myself and in the past several disintegrating XT ones that had barely been used …..Shimano not what you used to be my dear

rOcKeTdOg

Take it back to the shop you bought the bike from, if it’s that little mileage they should sort that for you or replace the free hub under warranty

greigb
    Free Member

Slab -I’ve not taken these apart, but I don’t *think* the hub bearings have an influence on the freehub play? Could be wrong, but I tightened the cones ’til they went rough and still freehub play.

Rocketdog – I considered that, it seems like a reasonable warranty claim. However, I’m down to one bike at the moment due to other mechanicals, and if they swap like for like it may just go again after the same distance? Sounds like Mich had trouble with XT too?

greigb
    Free Member

By down to one bike I mean I don’t want to be weeks off the bike while they order in another crappy part…

rOcKeTdOg

Shimano parts if in stock get delivered next day if they are a Madison dealer. It’ll probably only be a case of adjusting the hub, 20 minute job tops

ctk
    Free Member

Assume you’ve tried doing it up with a big Allen key down the inside?

greigb
    Free Member

I have not ctk! Thanks for pointing that out though; I’ve been using cartridge bearing hubs with, eh, pull-off cassette bodies for ages, didn’t know the Shimanos were bolted on. Does the threaded axle go through a hollow bolt or something?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sadly I reckon that its just the freehub. I have a few of these hubs and they all have some play. Then again so did several xtr ones. The design isn’t all that good in my opinion as you cannot adjust it.

plecostomus
    Free Member

The joys of no serviceable shimano pets the free hub play will be normal it will progressively get worse the more you ride it. Adjusting the cone nuts to alter bearing preload won’t solve the issue its the freehub that has play in it that can’t be serviced, be thankful it’s not a dura ace or xtr one at £149.99!

ctk
    Free Member

Yep that’s right griegb. Its dead easy to get on and off so if it is play in the freehub you could just get your lbs to order you one and fit it yourself (if they’ll do that under warranty)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano freehub, wobbly after 100 miles’ is closed to new replies.