Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano DX-R cog – any good?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

I need a new 18t cog & this one has caught my eye, mainly because it’s only a fiver. Looks like it doesn’t grip all the cassette body (it’ll be fitted to a regular cassette hub), not sure if that might be an issue. Anyone have experience of them? Am I better off stumping up the cash for a Surly cog (which is what I usually use)? Cheers.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i have one but not really used it much. it is about 1/2 the width of a surly though, so may be more likely to gauge the freehub body.

MrTall
    Free Member

Superstar do a cheap wide bodied one i think. Or at least they used to as i have one somewhere.

Also had a DX one (except mine was a standard fitment, not the funny hole shape in your pic) which was fine but as stated is not wide based.

pedalhead
    Free Member

hmm cheers. This may end up on a Hope cassette body so I reckon I’ll stick with something a bit wider.

igm

It does engage the full hub – those black semicircular wings are bits of cardboard packaging in front of the sprocket.

Fine on a steel freehub – alloy? Not for me due to the gouging.

pedalhead
    Free Member

oh haha that make a bit more sense then 🙂 I figured it was some weight weenie thing

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve just put one of those on this morning!
    It seems to be basically the same as the one it replaced, except the old one didn’t have ‘Shimano’ on it. That was on there for somewhere between 12-18 months with no problems, and hadn’t noticeably marked up the freehub- didn’t look too closely though. That’s on my commuter.

Looks like it doesn’t grip all the cassette body (it’ll be fitted to a regular cassette hub), not sure if that might be an issue

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you realise there are bits of card folded over it that make it look an odd shape? Cos, er, I didn’t at first glance at the photos!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano DX-R cog – any good?’ is closed to new replies.