• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano DX flat pedals
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

How good are the shimano DX flat pedals? Looking to get a set from crc using the 10% off voucher. Newcomer to flats so other advice required but must be in stock and around £50 or less.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like mine but I fitted beefier pins.

Bumhands
    Free Member

Had a few pairs over the years – all still going strong.

They come fitted with very short pins which are useless.
    Longer pins are supplied but its a bit of a pain to change them all over.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not a pain at all unless you let them get mashed first. Best to tap out to M5

Onzadog
    Free Member

I liked mine but there are better pedals out there for the money. They didn’t do too well in a recent magazine test.

mboy
    Free Member

They look nice, and are of good quality and last, you definitely need to fit the longer pins for any grip though

But for outright performance (read grip) look elsewhere. The DX’s are probably best considered if you’re an XC rider that doesn’t get on with any form of clipless pedal. If you’re after something more suited to a bit of abuse, and with a lot more grip, there are all sorts of pedals out there on the market vying for your cash.

lovetoride
    Free Member

mboy feel free to recommend others 🙂

chamley
    Free Member

I’m onto my second pair after the first died after about 6 years of abuse (no maintenance), i love them! As above, put the bigger supplied pins in, they even put in a little allen key for you.

I guess if you’re doing a lot of downhill they’re probably not ideal, if you smash them off rock, what’s left of the pins won’t come out. I use them for the bmx track and XC and can’t fault them for that.

Onzadog
    Free Member

For similar or less money, the Superstar components/HTI/Nukeproof/kona wahwah pedals do well. No where near as deep either.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Superstar

Genuinely excellent pedals

lovetoride
    Free Member

Not many pedals in stock though, admit the slimmer pedals could be advantageous, what other options? Gusset slim jim?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

The DXs are superb! One of the very few flat pedals these days that are built to last… My only criticism is that they have reflector brackets on them… WTF?!?!?

Digger90
    Free Member

I’ve used Shimano DX’s and loved them.

BUT – once the pins are mashed (and they get mashed very easily as they are simply tiny little things that don’t take any abuse), the pedals are trashed. This is a great shame as they are virtually impossible to remove once they’re mashed, ruining what os otherwise a fantastic pedal.

Does anyone have experience with the Wellgo V12 copies? CRC have them at approx £20 a pair, which, with sealed bearings, replaceable pins etc seems a bargain. But do they last and how grippy are they?

Neil-F
    Free Member

I had Wellgo V8 copies, they were good and very grippy, but the bearings didn’t last long. noisy, rattly and got a bit of play. I still use them on my road-use HT, and the bouncy bike gained DMR V8’s, which have been superb. Good pedal for less than £25.
    My mate had DX’s, and he was constantly mooaning about pins being kaput, falling out etc etc…. he’s now got DMR V12’s.

mboy
    Free Member

I guess if you’re doing a lot of downhill they’re probably not ideal, if you smash them off rock, what’s left of the pins won’t come out. I use them for the bmx track and XC and can’t fault them for that.

Pretty much spot on

They’re a bit soft, and the pins bend/break easily, but the bearing quality is good, and if you’re not smashing em into things then I can recommend them.

If your idea of a good ride involves you smacking pedals into rocks on a regular basis, then look elsewhere though of course. My pedal of choice for a number of year now, because it’s so grippy and because it shrugs off being smashed into things (my XT crank arm bent, the pedal survived a smash at about 30mph into a rock!) are the Easton Flatboys. They’re big, they’re brash, but they’d survive a nuclear holocaust!

Heard nothing but good things about those Superstar’s/Kona Wah Wah’s too. Personally would steer clear of DMR as they’re not very grippy, and the Wellgo copies are awful, they’re cheap for a reason, the bearings (even on the V12 copies) don’t last very long at all. Wellgo make plenty of good pedals, but the cheap V8 and V12 copies are not one of them.

The Wellgo B27’s look like a good, cheap alternative to the Easton Flatboys too, not tried a set myself but heard good things…

ianv
    Free Member

The little pins that come fitted are next to useless. the bigger pins are much better. The superstar/kona wahwah ones are better though, and cheaper.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shimano DX flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.