Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • shimano dx caged spd or CB mallet DH
  • jpacey
    Free Member

Im looking for an clipless pedal that gives some grip when I’m not clipped in. The DX’s were recommended by my local bike shop. Interested to hear your experience with both pedals particularly if you use giro terraduro shoes

cheers

James

ThePinkster

Neither. Any of the Time platform pedals, Z-Controls for example, are far superior to both.

The bearings seem to last forever, easy to clip into with a wide range of float (great if you’ve got dodgy knees) and are near indestructible.

legend
    Free Member

Times are also incredibly slippy when not clipped in.

DX are a solid (and weighty) but of kit, the CBs are nice but probably more likely to fall apart in a hurry

stevede
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of Mallet dh pedals and rate them highly. Easy to service and rebuild, I did that after 12 months of regular use on one pair and the others I still haven’t done more than stick some grease in them. Used to run dx’s but found you had to be really precise to get clipped in (you would get used to this) whereas you can float on the mallets and clip in front to back if your foot has ended up too far forward if that makes sense. Have a look on the bikes of most of the World Cup dh’ers, even most of the shimano sponsored riders are on mallets.

hairyscary

Time MX8 pedals and Giro Terraduros work well for me. A very definite in/release action, very easy to get clipped in and offer good grip when not clipped in. I do think the latter two points may be as much about the shoe as the pedal…….they are the best shoes I’ve ever used.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Hands down it’s the Mallets the pins will give you somw grip if you have dabbed and not quite clipped back in.

MSP

I have found that the dx’s give a surprising amount of grip when not clipped in with five ten kesterels and spesh 2fo, but offer no advantage over uncaged shimano pedals when wearing giro terraduro shoes.

I would be tempted by the mallet dh’s had I not had some 50/50 flat pedals last just a couple of months and found that to be very common.

Shimano are meant to be realising a similar platform/clippless hybrid soon, I would be tempted to wait for that.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/shimano-pedal-dh-prototype-lourdes-world-cup.html

euans2
    Free Member

Hands down its the Mallets, they are head and shoulders above any other downhill pedal on the market, great grip great float, easy to engage and disengage and I have NEVER had a set fail on me

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Mallet, the cage is next to useless on the Shimano & Time’s.

Shoe dependent the Mallet can almost be too grippy to unclip.

I’m a fan of Mallets – never had a pair fail on me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘shimano dx caged spd or CB mallet DH’ is closed to new replies.