Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Shimano – 'do not rejoin a chain at a connecting pin'.. why ?
  • iainc

it would suit me to do this, by popping a new connector pin in the same place that I will push the old connector one out (because it is a bit stiff there – new chain just fitted and ridden once) – suggestion is that this will weaken it ? does the action of pushing out the joining pin stretch the holes in the outer plates or something ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

youve got it !

the shape of the joining pin stretches the hole.

just use the link next to it and rejoin with a new joining pin – or even better , remove the link with the joining pin and use a power link for rejoining !

iainc

cool, Ta

johnnystorm

I recall that was the gist of it. Popping out a pin enlarges the hole, you use a bigger pin to fill the hole, but don’t pop that bigger one once installed. This is all a bit hazy because as soon as Shimano started along this stupid path I started using Sram chains with powerlinks….. 😉

scaredypants

joining pin is (I think) a bit softer and a tiny bit bigger than standard ones. Intended for singles use.

Get a powerlink, thur gud

johnnystorm

Bah, too slow! 😆

IHN

Better still, get a Connex powerlink. Much better design than the SRAM ones.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

So, at the risk of being a numpty, if I regularly split and rejoin my chain with an old fashioned chain tool, pushing out whatever pin happens to be in the most convenient place, will I knacker it and die horribly? Am I even more stupid than I thought I was? Is my rejection of all things modern like powerlinks going to result in a snapped chain and broken goolies?

iainc

lol @ mrbelowski 😆

according to Shimano, probably…..I have just ordered some KMC joining links (10 sp for road Ultegra)

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Aw man, don’t just laugh at me because I’m thick, answer the question 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

this is what we all did before the power link – there were connectors but they were gash IMHO

IME if you have weakened it it will break the first ride up a big hill as you put down the power
    Best to avoid dooing this as there are better more modern solutions but I have done it recently with a chain when i fitted an SRAM powerlink and it wont undo [KMC chain IIRC] as it is not suitable and i needed to shorten the chain
    I have not died yet and it has not broken …yet
    HTH

iainc

mrbelowski – I asked the question too ! ‘cos I don’t want the breaking scenario, balls into stem situation… I think £6 is money well spent

tomlevell

If it’s stiff try a tiny amount of extra turn on the rear rack of your chain tool. Never had to do it before on a connecting pin though.

Can I also add I like the connecting pin. Easy to fit. No faff and i hardly ever remove a chain mid use.

IIRC 10 speed quick links are not reusable either?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve been joining chains with old pins for the last 25 years and never had a problem caused by it

13thfloormonk

I used to use old pins (push pin 2/3 out, remove dodgy link, rejoin using ‘2/3 pushed’ pin to locate etc.) with not too many problems, except when I was being a bit cack-handed or doing it with an old chain or something.

+1 for connecting pins though, smooth and lovely. But I don’t remove my chain unless its to replace it or because its already broken..

IHN

IIRC 10 speed quick links are not reusable either?

I think it depends on the brand, but don’t quote me 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think the chains we all used to just reuse pins the pins were parallel sided. Modern shimano chains are not – the pins are slightly wider at the end so when you push the pin out it damages both the pin and the plate – so rejoining with that pin will be weaker.

SRAM links FTW

IHN

SRAM Connex links FTW

FTFY 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Do the SRAM powerlinks work ok with Shimano chains?

iainc

mark – the 9 speed SRAM Powerlinks work perfectly with Shimano 9 speed chains – been using on mtb’s for years. This time I am on 10 speed road bike, and the SRAM one is not reuaseable – it’s called a Powerlock

pdw
    Free Member

Rejoining using the old pin worked OK for wider chains (i.e. less than 9 speed).

I can tell you from mildly painful experience that it does not work OK on 9 speed. It also won’t necessarily go on the first hill you encounter. Mine went on the top of High Street, two or three rides after I split and rejoined it.

MadPierre

@iainc: the 10 speed powerlock is reusable if you have some of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46600

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I found that rejoining Shimano chains using an old pin works fine on the cheaper chains such as Deore. Trying it on an XT chain caused me pain

IHN

Do the SRAM powerlinks work ok with Shimano chains?

In my experience of 9spd Shimano/Tacx/SRAM/Connex/possibly other brands of chains and powerlinks, they’re all inter-compatible.

But Connex ones are the best.

ransos
    Free Member

I can tell you from mildly painful experience that it does not work OK on 9 speed. It also won’t necessarily go on the first hill you encounter. Mine went on the top of High Street, two or three rides after I split and rejoined it.

+1
    I rejoined a 9 speed SRAM chain without using a Powerlink. Mine went in the middle of a busy crossroads as I was attempting to turn right. I’m lucky I wasn’t run over.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I would echo the above. I once tried joining a 9 speed chain in my ignorance got to Thetford, parked up got on the bike and did not even get out of the carpark before it snapped. Started using missing links from that day on.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Arrrggghhh you buggers have just cost me £20. Or saved me an injury

£20. Grrrrrr

iainc

£20 – is that for a few spares too ? I ordered the KMC ones at Ribble at £6 for 2

on this thread

mrbelowski
    Free Member

It’ll be more than £20 by the time I’ve replaced by worn cassette 🙁

Saving me personal injury and encouraging the replacement of worn out bits is simply not on

theotherjonv

Decathlon (I know!) do own brand 10spd powerlinks that i can’t tell any different to the Connex ones, but they are £5 for 2 pairs (ie enough to join a chain and then have another as spare)

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I get 2pac sram power links from there for a similar price.

“IME if you have weakened it it will break the first ride up a big hill at a random time of its choosing as you put down the power”

Redirecting aforementioned power through some part of the bike and into your nuts.

mark90
    Free Member

iainc/IHN – thanks for the confirmation about the compatibility. I’m running Shimano 9 spd so will be investing in a couple of powerlinks.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Shimano – 'do not rejoin a chain at a connecting pin'.. why ?’ is closed to new replies.