Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano Disk Pad Question (contamination)
  • binno
    Free Member

Hello all,

I got oil on my new XT M785 pads (front) when shortening the hose. Cleaned the calliper off and rubbed the rotor down with rubbing alcohol.

Purchased a Superstar set of pads and i just get squeal, no bite and a sort of stop.

Questions:

1. Do i need shimano resin or sintered pads with fins?
    2. Whats; the best thing to clean my rotor with?

BTW: Cooking pads did not work, tried it twice.

RustySpanner

Just find a nice big hill.
    A really big one.

Ride down it, getting your brake nice and hot, applying for longer periods at higher pressures until it feels ok again.

Give it a pop. No need for baking, it’s all a bit of a myth I’m afraid.

Superficial
    Free Member

Blowtorch on the pads. Works for me. But I suspect a very big hill* would do much the same. Unfortunately I don’t have an alp nearby, but I do have a blowtorch (or gas hob).

Superstar pads are fine, fins or no fins.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Clean rotor; replace pads with Goodridge Sintered; put Superstar tat in bin.

Problem solved.

Superficial
    Free Member

If you can’t get them sorted, I agree with cleaning the rotor and replacing the pads. But Superstar pads are fine – any other pads are just overpriced.

DaveRambo

I’ve had similar issues with my SLX brakes/pads/rotors for a while now.

They squeal like mad and have no stopping power. Clean rotors, clean/heat pads – Tried to use them repeatedly on hills and I just end up making my ears bleed.

New pads (Superstar and Shimano) and cleaning rotors and callipers help but I find it comes back. Checked for leaks but nothing.

Replaced them with Hope Tech and moved them to a new SS build and same problem. Am reluctant to bin them but am struggling to work out what to do/ try next.

You’re not alone. We should start a support group.

tomd
    Free Member

Makre sure you’re cleaning the rotors properly. That Fenwicks stuff will do the job, or I’ve used the 3in1 electrical contact cleaner. Meths and some isopropyl alcohol can leave an oily residue as it’s not pure. Detergent and a scrubbing brush also works.

binno
    Free Member

One idea / concern i have is that the shimano system generates to much heat and causes the pads to glaze over (like glass). I’m using the XT Ice Tek rotors, all new gear. Works for about 10mins, then bam it’s squeal and fade away.

Going to try the finned pads (bite the bullet on the cost) and see if that helps.

Superficial
    Free Member

If it’s just the rotor, it’s not particularly difficult to get rid of any greasy residue – any sort of detergent will do it. Take the rotor off, and water with a load of fairy in it. Or citrus degreaser, or IPA* (not meths, though). Getting rid of contamination on pads is much harder, and of course make sure whatever oil leak/contamination issue is cured.

*Not the beer kind

EDIT: I was a bit slow off the mark there.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Currently have SS sintered at the back and Shimano sintered at the front and I cannot tell the difference.

P.S. I wouldn’t buy resin if you are likely to ride in the wet as from my experience they dissolve.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Sorry to say but you are better off binning the pads and getting some new ones, I’d recommend getting new Shimano pads, they may be a little more expensive but they work. Ive been using the finned pads which work really well but you don’t really need them for UK riding, if you’re off to the Alps then buy them.

Cleaning wish use disc brake cleaner.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i live at the top of a big hill,

i got oil on my front disc/pads (only a little) on my commuter.

for weeks, i tried to believe that this:

Rusty Spanner – Member

Just find a nice big hill.

Ride down it, getting your brake nice and hot, applying for longer periods at higher pressures until it feels ok again.

would work, but it didn’t, not even a little bit.

So i bought new pads.

that worked.

(maybe the problem was that i couldn’t get the pads hot, as they had no friction)

as for cleaning discs, i just boil the kettle, and pour it over the disc.

m1kea
    Free Member

I seem to be going through front (Shimano) pads like there’s no tomorrow. Swapping wheels did cure one squealing episode so I thought it must have been a mucky rotor.

Wasn’t the case but another set of pads did sort things.

I’ve got three sets of pads still with some life in them but no blowtorch. Caning down hills doesn’t work so any ideas on alternate cleaning options?

binno
    Free Member

I’ve ordered shimano finned pads, 1 or each (metal + resin).
    I’ve also got some disk brake cleaner from fenwicks to try.
    Finally, been reading a lot about goodridge hoses. Expensive, but might be worth it if only i knew it would cure the problem once and for all.

If i get any eureka moments i’ll post back (be in a few days).

binno
    Free Member

still had a phantom leak and trashed a new set of pads. Think it’s all sorted out now though. If not, then i’ve got a blockage in my hose that seems to cause super pressure and forced leaking, which although very slight builds up over night and wreaks the pads.

has held up for a few days no, so fingers crossed all is good again.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Disk Pad Question (contamination)’ is closed to new replies.