Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano Disc Brake compatibility questions…
  • mboy
    Free Member

I've currently got a brake setup on one of my bikes consisting of the following…

XTR M965 brake calipers such as these…

XT M765 levers such as these…

And Goodridge hydrualic hoses.

What I want to know is can I just replace the brake levers with a pair of the new Shimano XT M770 levers, such as these…

And if the answer is yes, then will I need to buy any new hardware for my Goodridge hoses for the brake lever end, or will the new levers fit the same hose fittings as the old ones?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help out!

Stoner
    Free Member

you can swap those levers over no problems. No new hardware required other than a new olive and insert if you're being conscientious.

d'Oh with goodridge you obviously dont even need olives etc.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Depends what kit you have.

The older shimano use kit 107- new style needs 104 (Deore) kit. Old style hoses won't work with the new levers/calipers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner

Just to confirm though, they're definitely the same thread as the older levers? It's just I remember the older M755 levers (4 pot XT) had a larger thread where the hose attaches, just want to make sure I wouldn't need any new hardware as when I swapped the hoses from a set of old 4 pots to these brakes, I had to order some new bits!

mboy
    Free Member

Depends what kit you have.

The older shimano use kit 107- new style needs 104 (Deore) kit. Old style hoses won't work with the new levers/calipers.

I'm running old style XTR calipers that need a 90 degree banjo bolt to attach the hose to them, not the newer calipers which the hose goes straight into… The hose kit isn't really an issue when it concerns the caliper end, as I'm not changing the calipers… Only need to know that the thread in the lever where the hose attaches is the same on the new M770 levers as it was on the M765's really…

Cheers for the concern though, if I change the calipers I will have the change the fittings as they'd need to go straight into the caliper, not via a 90 degree banjo bolt.

Stoner
    Free Member

definitely fine – I run the old XT, old LX and new XTR all on the same thread.

if I change the calipers I will have the change the fittings as they'd need to go straight into the caliper, not via a 90 degree banjo bolt.

correct. 965 I think is the last of the Banjo calipers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Disc Brake compatibility questions…’ is closed to new replies.