Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • shimano disc brake – compatibility issues???
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i had a set of XT/XTR brakes, where, by accident i stripped the mounting threads on the caliper (so only one bolt holding it to the frame was working).

they were
    M775 XT levers and M975 XTR caliper

so in the CRC flood sale i bought an M965 XTR caliper. this was ages ago… today i took them to a shop to get them changed over (as i cannae be bothered to do it myself) and they told me that the caliper attachements were different.

having showed me this i'd agree (i'd not actually taken them out of the packet). they spoke to their shimano rep who told them that to use this caliper i would need a whole new hose, as well as the fittings etc.

can anyone confirm this? or point me in the direction of the parts (part numbers perhaps?)
    if i do get new hoses, will they fit with my M775 levers?

also…

i have another set of XT brakes (M765 i think, poss 766) which i think the seals are gone – bit spongey, and pads always seem to get contaminated, never work well at all.
    was told that seal sets are hard to come by??? anyone confirm this, tell me codes, show me where to buy?? i'd like this set working – they've not been for about a year!

thanks!!!!!

Mister-P
    Free Member

The Shimano rep was correct. M965 calipers used a banjo fitting not the straight in fitting your M975 would use. SM-BH63 hoses would work with your levers and those calipers as they are straight one end and banjo the other.

coatesy
    Free Member

Why not just get your old caliper helecoiled? Shouldn't realistically cost more than a tenner.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘shimano disc brake – compatibility issues???’ is closed to new replies.