Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano Disc Brake Bleeding kit
  • tails
    Free Member

Anyone own one? Bit pricey for something that looks like its worth a £15, but gravity slaves give it a great review.

Northwind

If it's modern shimano there's no need for a kit- though to make it easy get a syringe and some clear tube and bleed up from the caliper. Finding the right bits can be a slight hassle but you can buy wee cheap kits off ebay, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SYRINGE-BLEED-KIT-FITS-SUZUKI-SV-BANDIT-RM-KATANA-GN-DR_W0QQitemZ130364023381QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item1e5a4d2255

Though that's also a total ripoff of course, just a smaller one. Or just scratch up the bits yourself from online shops or a friendly chemist or vets place, costs just a couple of quid that way. But the ebay approach is convenient.

coatesy
    Free Member

We bought one for the workshop, not that impressed to be honest, still manage to spill fluid from the reservoir(just when you remove it, instead of when you bleed it), hoses go brittle/stiff in short order and then fall off the fittings at every inopportune moment. Save your money, buy a big syringe, hose and bucket to catch the spills if you want to bleed that way.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Did an 09 XT bleed last nite with the cheap £10 mineral oil bottle and it was very easy as per many previous posts. You don't need the full kit IMO. Just follow the Shimano instructions. Get the fluid going then let it dribble through of its own accord BUT keep the reservoir topped up!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My thoughts too. I've never "got" why bleed kits exist. I have Shimano brakes and Hope brakes and I've never had any issues bleeding with some cheap plastic tubing, syringes from a friendly chemist and an old bottle to catch the fluid. I'm normally one for the right tool for the job, but in this case don't bother

bigyinn
    Free Member

As above really. But any suggestions on how to catch the oil if you're bleeding from the caliper up to the lever? I tend to wraps an old rag all around the lever, but it still gets a bit messy. Anyone got any suggestions on how to avoid?

tails
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. 8)

retro83
    Free Member

As above really. But any suggestions on how to catch the oil if you're bleeding from the caliper up to the lever? I tend to wraps an old rag all around the lever, but it still gets a bit messy. Anyone got any suggestions on how to avoid?

Tin can with a couple of holes punched in it at the open end. Thread a bit of string through and hang over the bars (underneath the lever, obviously!)

Works for me. However, it's probably best not to leave said tin can on the floor, forget about it, then kick it all over your front rotor next time you go to get your bike out 😳

theotherjonv

catch it all in a tissue, and then once the reservoir is closed and sealed give it a good clean over with soapy water or similar. It's only min oil, DOT fluid would be a different matter (another reason why i love shimano brakes)

luked2
    Free Member

Don't need a kit. Just a bit of hose that's the right diameter (I used electrical cable with the cores pulled out!). And a spanner.

Like theotherjonv says, it's only mineral oil.

Northwind

"As above really. But any suggestions on how to catch the oil if you're bleeding from the caliper up to the lever? I tend to wraps an old rag all around the lever, but it still gets a bit messy. Anyone got any suggestions on how to avoid?"

Avoid the problem entirely, suck any excess out with another syringe.

I would say, the syringes aren't even neccesary, all you need is the hose but it's a lot easier with a couple of quid's worth of syringe so I can't see any reason not to do it that way. Especially if you're bleeding a badly aereated brake, or one that's completely drained.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Bit of tube with a plastic bag zip tied to the end of it. Easy peasy.

granny_ring

Is it possible to bleed from reservoir to caliper as I've done on my old hope minis or must it be caliper to reservoir?

tails
    Free Member

yeah you can do both ways just caliper up is a bit better at purging air bubbles

tails
    Free Member

double bubble

granny_ring

ok cheers I've got to shorten the hoses on my xt brakes do I need to fit new olives etc?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Disc Brake Bleeding kit’ is closed to new replies.