Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano disc brake advice request
  • thetabber
    Free Member

I’m having issues with the rear caliper of my 2007 Shimano LX caliper. One of the piston’s does not move outward to the same extent as the other. I’ve bled it, and pushed it out as far as it’ll go to lube it with mineral oil but no improvement. It was sticking and took alot of pressure to get it back to its original position (the other piston moved back freely and smoothly). I think this has been going on for a while, i’m going through brake pads quite quickly as one side is wearing alot quicker than the other – pressumably as a result of pressure being applied unevenly.

Any soltions or new caliper time?

Any help gratefully received.

Stoner
    Free Member

If you’ve lubed the piston and it’s still not happy, then I suppose it’s borked.

Ive not had similar symptoms with any of my shimano calipers (De, LX, XTR) and I assume it’s quite rare.

andy7t2
    Free Member

Mine were doing the same so took them apart removed both pistons and cleaned all the crap that builds up, put them back in lubed with brake fluid and re built/bleed. Worked like new. really easy job

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thetabber
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. Andy, did you pop the pistons out or disassemble the whole caliper unit?

coatesy
    Free Member

If possible, i’d recommend complete disassembly inc. removing the seals(get a pick and hook set from a car spares/tool shop). It’s only when you’ve done this that you realise how much dirt gets trapped in there, just wiping it from outside won’t remove it, and lubing it will just turn it into grinding paste.A smear of silicone grease on pistons and seals before re-assembly seems to last well too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What they said. My 2003 xtrs did this but I got a new set under warranty.

You can sometimes find new calipers going cheap.

PJay
    Free Member

CRC have M595 calipers for under £30 (Deore but essentially the replacement for the M585s I think), they should be compatible with your current levers. I’ve just replaced my LX M585s with them due to the LXs problematic seals. If I can actually get them bled I hope that they’ll be a good replacement!

The M595s won a big disc brake group test is this month’s WMB so they might be worth a look.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano disc brake advice request’ is closed to new replies.