Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano di2 via ebay,good or bad idea?
  • blader1611
    Free Member

Was wondering whether i could cobble together a di2 system (for road bike) on the cheap via ebay or is this asking for trouble?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Di2 on eBay never really seems that cheap to me. You can get the occasional good deal on a battery as people upgrade to the Bluetooth version, but everything else I’ve found cheaper at online shops.

I do however have a spare set of Ultegra 6800 brake levers/shifters if anyone is after a set……

cchris2lou

Got my whole set on ebay or here. I reckown it was about 50% cheaper. Half new.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookeaa

worth watching this one, and noting that a new 6870 group is ~£900-£1k.

The linked one is presently at £400 (with 3 days left) its missing a cassette and the charger (worth factoring the cost of those in, along with sundries like new a chain, brake cables, pads, etc)… So it’s maybe a reasonable price now, but I reckon ebay fever will hit at least two of the 24 current bidders and it will goes for silly money… Watch and see.

cookeaa

Actually, if I was doing “DI2 on the cheap” I’d be tempted to look for 6770, 10 speed bits in the new year, although I’m aware you have to be careful with firmware updates and mixing 6770 and 6870 parts…

There still seems to be NOS 6770 parts knocking about as well as used, you could skip things like a new crank, 10 speed cassettes and chains are still widely available, but I’m not sure how easily you could assemble a working 10 speed di2 system now or if you would actually save much money over the newer 11 speed drivetrain…

This is all assuming you are looking at ultegra rather than dura ace…

genubah
    Free Member

I too got a groupset off eBay. I relisted the (non-hydro) levers and (external) battery and bought the rest new, and it was still way cheaper than buying everything new.
    You do need to lurk around ebay for a while, though, to get the proper combination of parts (I wanted the medium cage rear mech).

cchris2lou

Yes, took me a couple of months to get everything.

And don’t be afraid to make offers to seller.

i_like_food

Yup, but not if you’re in a rush. I got hydro-di2 levers new but cheap online and everything else second hand. Took me 3-4 months of lurking but got full di2-hydro groupset for £600 (no chainset though).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano di2 via ebay,good or bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.