Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Shimano Di2 D-Fly
  • womp
    Free Member

Has anyone fitted Shimano Di2 D-Fly SM-EWW01 Wireless unit, does it significantly effect battery life ?

(My build is to Ultegra 6870 11spd)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes and yes.

womp
    Free Member

cheers may give it a swerve then

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone else have any experience of this?

Even when not using the bike it seems to eat up battery. Fully charged my bike with the d-fly on it. Didn’t ride it for a week. Went to ride it and the battery was completely flat. Hadn’t had any such problems before fitting the d-fly unit, the battery lasts for months without it. May see if there’s some new firmware and give it one last chance before junking it.

njee20
    Free Member

Nothing like that, no! I was contemplating yesterday if the battery life was worse than advertised, hadn’t considered the wifi thingummy. I charged mine (internal battery) 2 weeks ago, and have ridden the bike maybe 150 miles in that time, it’s showing 80% charged now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm thanks. Might see if there is a firmware upgrade as it’s pretty terrible at the moment. Only really got it to keep an eye on the battery level from the garmin!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I haven’t experienced a large battery loss. What I have noticed after having some battery level issues, is that the charger only works on certain usb plugs!

I.e I was using a Samsung usb plug to charge and it didn’t charge it, tried a garmin one didn’t work. Eventually used an apple one and that works!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ive got one fitted but need to update the firmware so i can see the data on the Garmin so dunno if its killing my battery

annoyingly my battery did die on the MTB about 80% of the way round Dalby – got stuck in 34/28 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

charge it, tried a garmin one didn’t work. Eventually used an apple one and that works!

Hmm interesting, thanks. Maybe I just thought I’d fully charged it but it hadn’t actually charged at all. Shall try with another charger.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

light on the charger changes from amber to off though when its charged?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Yes it does, however what was happening was that the light would turn off, therefore thinking it was charged. Did the battery level test via the shifter and it blinks green 5 times to indicate 50%.

Charged it up on the apple plug and all was good, checked the level on the garmin and the lever.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Quick tip – you’ll most likely have to update the firmware to get an EWW to work properly or at all, so for the majority of people that’s a bike shop job.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Updating firmware not a problem for me. Now you mention it I remember that I had to update the firmware just to get it working as you suggest, so it’s probably up to date. Hmm shall try a decent usb charger and see if I get better results.

njee20
    Free Member

Quick tip – you’ll most likely have to update the firmware to get an EWW to work properly or at all, so for the majority of people that’s a bike shop job.

Depends on the age of your group set. If youve bought in the last year it’ll probably be ok.

shuhockey
    Free Member

There was a firmware update last month to fix the battery usage. Not particular noticed any massive problem before the update. If you have a PC the firmware is ready to update. If you have a Mac then you are buggered.

njee20
    Free Member

So there was, looks like various bits of update, will have to sort that.

womp
    Free Member

I found a D-fly cheap and fitted it in the top tube, ive done 220 miles and just hit 80%, i charge off a fake apple charger or a portable phone charger

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well charged yesterday using the 2 amp iPad charger. Seems ok this morning with Garmin reporting 100% battery. At least it’s not draining that battery. Might have been a dodgy charger after all.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A couple of days and a few hours of riding since a proper charge and battery reporting 90% full. Looks like it might well have been the USB charger not actually charging the battery.

njee20
    Free Member

Mines still at 80% after a ride in/out of London yesterday with the expected tonnes of shifting, now 3 weeks since charging.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted one of these internally in the top tube. The Garmin sees it fine, but only after a firmware upgrade courtesy of Shimano’s e tube project software (free download) and my PC. As for battery life, I’ll keep an eye on that, but I don’t anticipate any issues. The insataltion was incredibly simple and I like the fact that the (tiny) unit is hidden away from water and dirt. All in all, a nice upgrade.

njee20
    Free Member

Mines in the downtube, but has obviously come loose, which is kinda annoying on rough ground!

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Quick update re battery life: the bike has stood overnight and been ridden for 3 1/2 hours and the Di2 battery is still reading 100% on my Edge 510. Promising stuff.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Di2 D-Fly’ is closed to new replies.