Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano Deore Disc Brakes – Any good
  • COZZY
    Free Member

Hi All

My old faithful 07 FSR needs new brakes.

Does anyone use Shimano Deore Disc Brakes – are they OK for general trail riding? (My avid elixir CR’s have blown seals and are obsolete now)

The LBS can do f and r for £120 fitted

righog
    Free Member

There Good

Cheaper here

mytravellingbag
    Free Member

I’ve been using these on a 29er hardtail for the last year or so… Also recently on a Scott Genius 720. Brilliant brakes, well worth their bargain price!

DrP

I would also echo they are great brakes.
    However, to add balance to the argument, I’m selling a set of Elixir Rs here, for £45 posted, if you’re on a budget…

DrP

wilko1999
    Free Member

I have M596 Deores on my hardtail and they really are very very good. righogs link to a set for £80 is bl88dy brilliant value.

ahwiles
    Free Member

they’re astonishing.

my old pair – from around 2002(?) are now in retirement on my commuter, but before that they were on my Dh bike, and provided many weeks of hassle-free service in the Alps, including the Mega, twice.

new ones are even better.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

ive been running a set for a few years and they are really good. easy to service etc etc BUT if your looking to spend £120 why not get some formula mega? http://store.formula-brake.com/special_offers?page=2

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, the new ones are great (M596?) I’ve had them on two bikes now and only picked SLX to put on my Anthem ‘cos they matched the rest of the group set.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have a set on my BFe and they’re really good – I don’t miss the toll free reach adjust or the free stroke adjuster (which seems to do very little). They seem to offer up enough power and have handles crashes better than my XT’s.

For £80 you can’t really complain.

banks
    Free Member

Mint. If you go formula think about spares!

Scamper
    Free Member

Had the recent M596 and now the bang up to date M615(?), the latter having a new calliper which can take ice tech pads and cosmetically look a lot nicer. Fantastic brakes, and I’m stuggling to tell the difference over SLX on my other bike in terms of performance.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

There Good

Cheaper here

Not really cause they’re not fitted! 😉

I’ve had them on my SS for 4 years and not had to touch them apart from pads. They work like they came out of the box, very well.

birney29
    Free Member

I’m selling a set of m596 – front and rear for £60 posted. Less than 100 miles on them.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

M596 and 615 are great also have the 395 they are reliable but no where near as nice as the 596 and 615…

COZZY
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I told my lbs to go for it.

Did the £80 merlin link include rotors ?

(New slx rear cassette and chain also…..winter treat ready for the weekend.)

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Merlin ones exclude rotors.

COZZY
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

Looking forward to getting her back now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Deore Disc Brakes – Any good’ is closed to new replies.