Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • shimano deore brake lever question
  • phil40
    Free Member

Hi,

I had some new shimano deore disc brakes and levers fitted to my bike, both have worked fine, but when I went for my ride today e front lever felt like it was much more sensitive. As soon as I pulled on it there was lots of resistance and the front wheel locked, last time I used it it was more progressive, so that the lever could move about halfway to the handlebar before the brakes really dug in.

Sorry quite new to MTBs bikes so I probably haven’t used the correct terms. Any ideas as to what has made the front brake so much more sensitive?

Many thanks

coatesy
    Free Member

Could you have pulled the lever with the front wheel out? If so, remove the wheel, push the pads back with a flat/blunt object, re-fit the wheel, and pump the lever to re-adjust the pads. Oh, and don’t do this with the bike upside down, if the master cylinder’s reservoir wasn’t purged of air when new, you’ll end up with air in the system, and a spongey lever.

kayak23

That would be my guess too. You may have pulled the lever while the wheel was out of the forks…
    Just to add, my Deores don’t feel EXACTLY the same all the time. I store my bike vertically and they quite often feel different when I first get the bike down to when I’ve settled in riding a bit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where did you get the bike from? Is it new? If it was a shop they would probably be very happy to take a look, most offer a tune up/first service on new bikes.

If not as above try pushing the pads back out with something wide and flat.

kayak23

If not as above try pushing the pads back in out

to the body of the brake caliper.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member
    If not as above try pushing the pads back in out

to the body of the brake caliper.
    Or out from the middle

kayak23

Indeed 🙂
    We’re probably just confusing him now…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes, hence my first one about a friendly LBS, good ones will explain as they check/sort out too

phil40
    Free Member

Thanks for the great advice, can’t wait to get back home and get it fixed, the descriptions were very clear 😀

gonzy
    Free Member

in addition to the above…once youve pushed the pistons back into place, apply the brake lever and then tie a cable tie around it and the handlebar…tighten the cable tie as nuch as you can so the lever is pulled into the bar as far as it will come and then leave it overnight…any air that is trapped in the caliper or hose will now rise back to the reservoir and the brake should feel and work fine in the morning..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘shimano deore brake lever question’ is closed to new replies.