Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shimano CX 1×11
  • Leon
    Free Member

Hi all,

I know there’s a few threads touching this, but old thread revivals never work…

At the moment, I run SRAM 1×10. N/W ring, X9 Type 2 rear mech, Force shifters, LH gutted.

I’ve had problems with the mechanical discs, so thinking of binning them and going hydro.

I was going to get CX1, but the price is huge compared to the Shimano RS685 (like £200ish more for SRAM!!!)

Thing is, I love the 1×10. I like the lack of rattles, weight saving, and the lack of clogged up front mechs.

If I go shimano, there’s no 1×11 perfect solution, so it seems the end result is RS685 brifters and discs & 6800 rear mech

My questions are:

* does the LH shifter flap or rattle around if not in use?
    * when they say you need medium cage for >28t sprockets, I presume that’s under the assumption of a double chainset, and therefore short cage is fine, even for 11-32 or 34 or even 36 cassette?
    * It looks like you can increase the spring tension – anyone bothering with that?

Thanks,

Leon

nemesis
    Free Member

Short cage should be fine – Zee is short cage and does fine with 11-36.

Leon
    Free Member

yeah, me too. I can’t think of any reason why it wouldn’t work, but there could be odd geometry on a road mech or something…

nemesis
    Free Member

Oh, from that perspective, that is a possibility if the angle of the mech would mean it clashes with the bigger sprockets…

trickydisco
    Free Member

>does the LH shifter flap or rattle around if not in use?

Nope.. not in the slightest

* when they say you need medium cage for >28t sprockets, I presume that’s under the assumption of a double chainset, and therefore short cage is fine, even for 11-32 or 34 or even 36 cassette?

Not sure a short cage would be fine up to 36? I went 11-28 (38 up front) which gave me all the gears i needed for racing

* It looks like you can increase the spring tension – anyone bothering with that?

I tried but it appears you don’t need to. ( i opened up my ultegra mech and there wasn’t another spring setting)

I run 1×11 with ultegra and never dropped the chain once. this is 6 races in

+ the rs685 hydros are amazing!!!

Mister-P
    Free Member

The short cage should cope with the capacity of a 36T but not sure the mech is designed to move through an arc that will clear a sprocket of that size. The Zee parallelogram is designed to swing the mech through a wider arc.

honourablegeorge

Doesn’t Shimano MTB 10 speed have a different pull than Shimano Road 10s?

I don’t think the Road 10s shifters will drive a Zee.

nemesis
    Free Member

The Zee was just for comparison of cage length not to actually use.

mick_r

I’ve been considering some of these for an upcoming 1×10 cx build

Gevenalle Cyclocross

They do twin brake levers with a single shifter, and also do a hydraulic brake option. The video demonstrates them quite well.

Leon
    Free Member

Trickydisco – you’re in Bristol, aren’t you? Any chance we could meet and I could take a look at yours?

gee
    Free Member

I love my CX1. Worth the extra…

trickydisco
    Free Member

I am indeed. Email in profile

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

1 X 11 no rattle at all from my l/h shifter. No clutch mech just a narrow wide front ring, its been perfecto. 40 tooth front and 28-11 rear block. Stans new tubeless Grail rims are the ti7s as well. RS685 with the new routed calipers.

bigrich

I put a 105 rear mech and RHS sti on with raceface ring because I really, really, really hate sram apex. 1×10 but it was cheap and gives me all the ratios I need.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shimano CX 1×11’ is closed to new replies.