Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Shimano custom fit shoe experts help.
  • Frisky
    Free Member

From my years of wearing too tight cycling shoes my little toes have started to point inwards quite a bit causing bunions due to the bent inward bone joints with my right little toe pushed right up against the next. My left foot fits most cycle shoes just fine but my right foot gives me grief in the little toe region. I’m thinking of getting some of the shimano custom shoes in wide fit and I’ve tried them on and they seem like a good fit, not perfect as my right little toe is still touching the side of the shoe even in wide fit but it’ll do and maybe it’s the best I can get without going too large on the shoe size causing bad overall fit and heel slippage.

So my concern with the shimano custom fit shoes is that when they’re heated and shaped to your foot that they’ll also conform to the shape of the little toes as well. I know they use a toe box shield but that’s only for the front of the shoe and doesn’t extend all the way towards the side where my little toe resides. As this is where I get sores due to direct contact with the shoe I’m worried if the press-fit procedure will actually push my toes together even more or at least take up the available space, what little there is anyway.

I’m thinking of stuffing tissue paper between my problem right little toe so when the shop vacuum my shoe/foot there’ll be more volume afterwards and not such a tight fit against my confined little toe where the shoe touches a little. I could also try and find something to extend the shield cover to where my little toe is but to me the tissue paper idea could help a little. This may only give me an extra 0.3mm of room or stop the vacuum pushing my little toe even further into the next toe which is how it is at the moment. Aside from surgery has anyone else tried the shimano shoes and how did you find the fit against your little toe after the vacuum? Maybe some shop experts who’ve done this a million times could chip in if they’ve had experience with odd shaped feet/toes and whether using shimano custom fit shoes actually helps or makes it worse.

sq225917
    Free Member

put corn plasters on before the fit.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I have wide feet for my size. Have struggled with getting shoes to fit properly and be comfortable over the years.

I recently got a set of Shimano 310 custom fits and must say I am very impressed. They only form around your feet where its needed, so if you feet are wide (like mine) it won’t squish them, but they form nicely over the rest of my feet. You can run the straps looser, because the fit is so good and because of the cat tongue material on the heel.

After all the feet/shoe problems I’ve had over the years I’m glad I have these shoes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

A few thoughts.

Is it the width of your foot that causes the toe to hit the side or the fact that your foot slants towards the outside causing it to “find” the outside of the shoes? If that latter (generally some kind of forefoot varus), I have the same problems and have found getting some good foot beds helped a huge amount.

Also, is it all cycling shoes that give this problem or just Shimano. My feet are silly wide and Specialized seem a good fit for me.

Also (again), if you do go for the Shimano custom fit see if you can find a tame ski shop before you get them done, you may be able to get some padding or a long toe box from them as they will use them when fitting ski boots.

Finally, if you do have some foot problems (and it sounds like you might) then a trip to see a sport focused podiatrist may be an idea. Not sure where you are based, but there is a place called Solution 4 Feet in Bicester that are very very good at offering solutions for this kind of thing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Shimano custom fit shoe experts help.’ is closed to new replies.