Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano Crankarm Pinch Bolts
  • honourablegeorge

Where can I order some of these cheaply?

loum
    Free Member

here.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/socket-cap-screws-a2-stainless-steel-m6-x-20mm-pack-of-50/19472

not exactly the same but do the job.don’t round off as easily.
    sjs cycles do a pack of 2 of the genuine shimano ones for about £4 (+£2.50 postage) if you need the real ones.

I had problems with the shimano ones. rounded with just a small allen key. no probs since I switched (touch wood)

Edit : have emailed you. I’ve got some spare screwfix ones i’ll send you.

scruff
    Free Member

Brake caliper bolts fit just fine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bristolbiker
    Free Member

Went the same route as loum, but I usually buy in batches to deck a whole bike out in A4 stainless bolts, rather than buying bulk bags, so get them from this guy and pay a bit of a premium.

http://www.a2a4.com

NB: use as long a thread as is practical (I can’t remember what that is, though the pinch bolt holes are threaded all the way through – may well be 20 mm. OE bolts are very short, require moderate torque and screw into cheese…..)

honourablegeorge

Loum – many thanks for the offer – I’m just back from the LBS, who didn’t have any, but gave me two disc caliper bolts, and ground the heads down to size for me, for no charge.

simon1975

I got one from UKbikestore last week

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

This came up at the right time. Killed one of the bolts on mine last night and have done it before.

FWIW, it may just be XTs. This is the second set I’ve had problems with – the Deores I had on my other bike were fine.

Will get stronger/longer bolts fitted ASAP.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do people find that the heads on a standard socket cap don’t fit? the original ones do have a narrower head but the washer under it is still just under 10mm. just wondering if the m6 x 20 tapered bolts on eBay would work.

Leigh
    Free Member

I had the same thing on my dura ace ones. My lbs ordered me a pair from Madison for £3.50

carlos
    Free Member

Hahaha they saw you coming, £3.50 for a pair !!!!!!!! 😯 ‘Kin ell

Local ironmongers sorted me a pair for less than 80p. 20mm with allen key heads

Onzadog
    Free Member

But did they fit? there seems to be differing opinions as to whether or not standard metric bolts fit.

carlos
    Free Member

Yup, no problems.

Edit – took the NDS arm in with me and threaded them in with my fingers to make sure I was happy and they fitted Ok

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I used some std ones…fine.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I couldn’t get a standard bolt to fit my SLX crank. As it tightened the head moves to edge of the recessed hole hence why the heads are tapered. I wouldn’t use a stainless bolt as it will strip the threads from the crank rather than shear if your stupid enough to over tighten it

Leigh
    Free Member

A standard socket cap bolt head wouldn’t fit in the hole, so £3.50 to have a new pair that fitted without having to grind the heads down, go to anywhere to find any that did was a good deal as I rang my lbs and they got a set and they dropped them off with me so it didn’t cost me any time or travel…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Crankarm Pinch Bolts’ is closed to new replies.