Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano compatibility with shimano
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I currently have Tiagra 4600 groupset on the road bike but its starting to show its age and finding parts for this groupset is getting a little thin on the ground. Now looking at Tiagra 4700 it seems that the shifters wont work with anything from the 4600 range as they now have a different pull ratio. Does this mean though that i could still use my cassette and crankset thus just buy shifters, front and rear derailleurs?

Edit: must mention i am looking for a set that will accomodate at least a 30t cassette as i am in a hilly area and i am a poor climber, actually pretty poor at most disciplines.

simondbarnes

Does this mean though that i could still use my cassette and crankset thus just buy shifters, front and rear derailleurs?

Yes

STATO
    Free Member

Or you could buy any other level Shimano 10speed stuff and it will work with your 4600 stuff and wont be trapping yourself into the even more restricted option of 4700.

blader1611
    Free Member

Thank you Simon. I was pretty sure i could but i think i managed to over think it and came to some impending doom if i didnt match everything. Its a shame that the shifters are so blooming expensive.

simondbarnes

Its a shame that the shifters are so blooming expensive

What’s wrong with your shifters?

blader1611
    Free Member

Stato i think my current shifters are the cause of most of my issues so those will have to be replaced anyway. They also have external routing which is a right pain that i have lived with for the past 5 years so will be glad to see the back of them.

blader1611
    Free Member

Simon – my shifters work just about ok but i think they are starting to wear as they now need quite a long throw to operate them. They are 5 years old,been left out in all weathers (i do look after them though) and are now a bit banged up.

lunge

If it helps, new Tiagra is really nice, the levers feel good in the hand, the shifting is good and it’s genuinely very good value. Better than the 5700 105 level kit I have that is also 10 speed, and by quite a long way too.

johnners
    Free Member

Simon – my shifters work just about ok but i think they are starting to wear as they now need quite a long throw to operate them

How does wear cause that? The ratchet/index bits* will still be at the same point in the lever movement won’t they?

*sorry about the excessively technical terms

blader1611
    Free Member

Johnners – i dont really know what technically it might be but using the shifters is a guessing game as to how many shifts its going to do. I can click the things once and it can shift the gears 3 places. Everything else on the drivetrain is quite new and i have triple checked all of it. The shifter issue isnt new though,its gradually been getting worse thus i assumed it was something wearing.

STATO
    Free Member

How does wear cause that? The ratchet/index bits* will still be at the same point in the lever movement won’t they?

Yes but if youve got slack in the system you have to get past that before you even start pushing the ratchet nevermind getting to the shift point. It all adds up when everything is made of plastic 😆

blader1611
    Free Member

Stato – thats exactly what i was trying to intimate but i worded it pretty badly and vaguely. I have seen the same kind of issue on mtb gears, it just feels like slack in the system.
    I will keep an eye on the second hand market to see if anything cheap comes up.

Lunge – all i hear is good things about the 4700 groupset, seems like shimano have done a really good job on it, but to be fair it is only trickle down tech and not actually new.

lunge

but to be fair it is only trickle down tech and not actually new.

True, but when you can get a well regarded and well performing complete groupset for £300 then who cares if it’s trickle down or not?!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano compatibility with shimano’ is closed to new replies.