Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano Cleats – How often fo you change yours…
  • Joe

…i never used to change my cleats. When i had eggbeater pedals i would change them every 4 seconds…but since throwing them away a few years ago i have been on the same set of Shimano SPD cleats.

Until this year…i have been through two sets.
    And now i’ve got a lot of forward and backwards play in my left hand cleat, and both jump out of the pedal frequently. Looks like i need another set?

The pedals are rammed up to maximum tension. Is something **** with them? I want to be LOCKED IN.

nickc

I don’t think I’ve ever replaced a set of shimano cleats, they seem to go on way beyond the life of a shoe. Not much help sorry. Maybe the tension is too much? Dunno, guessing really, sorry

stratobiker
    Free Member

Joe – here’s a tip for you.
    Shimano cleats wear differently left and right, but are symmetrical….
    So, after you’ve been using them for a while, swap them left for right. It’s almost like having new cleats!!!

Gets a few more miles for your pence.

SB 🙂

PS I find a pair of cleats lasts a season.

Joe

ok. I’ll try that today and see if it sorts the problem. Cheers.

Don’t know why i didn’t think of that…used to flick my crank brothers ones.

hugorune

I check mine for wear now and again but there isn’t anything obvious. But, I got a new pair of shoes last week and it was like I’d cranked the pedal tension up to full! I’d been incrementally inreasing the tension on my pedals to counteract the wear. I don’t ride that much (once or twice a week) but my old cleats were about a year old. You just need to make surre that if your using more than one pair of shoes that your cleats are all the same age or you’ll have to adjust the pedal tension everytime you change to a different shoe 🙁

sq225917
    Free Member

it could be the plates on the pedal rather than the cleat, they both wear, check where the front of the cleat clips in on the pedal for XS wear.

phiiiiil

I replaced mine (by getting some new shoes) a few weeks ago; with the old ones I was more “loosely slotted in” rather than “clipped in”, there was a lot of play and I could remove my foot by just pulling up hard. The old ones had done 8,000 miles. The pedals are fine (although admittedly I’ve changed pedals a couple of times during that time).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Cleats – How often fo you change yours…’ is closed to new replies.