Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Shimano cleat adapter (SH85A) have I bought the wrong thing?
  • jackal
    Free Member

Anybody used these to adapt a road shoe to a regular mtb spd cleat?
    Please bear with me as I’m no expert on spd pedals as I now ride flats….

I’ve just fitted some Shimano mtb spd pedals to my gravel bike and with my off road shoes being unusable at the minute (waiting for some replacement BOA lacing parts to come through under warranty) I thought I’d try the road shoes I’ve got knocking about.
    Now these have the spd-sl is it (?) 3 bolt fitting, so googled for an adapter and came up with the Shimano one. The rquestions/answers on crc say it adapts the road 3 bolt fitting to any spd fitting, which it kind of does. But the instructions state only for converting to spd-r cleats which I’m assuming the assembly diagram also shows. The 2 bolt mtb ones fit ok but it leaves the cleat in direct contact with the floor when walking (or trying to walk). The diagram for the other style of cleat shows something called a ‘pontoon’ under it which I’m assuming aids walking and protects the cleat.

Is there a different type of adapter specific for mtb cleats? Or should I just crack on and use what I’ve got as I won’t be walking/hike a bike in these (they’re mainly just for road use) I’ll use the mtb shoes for anything else……

Cheers!

lunge

I think you’ve bought the right one, it’s certainly the one I bought for my wife when she wanted to use her road shoes for spinning. The cleats do indeed stick out but it works fine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Shimano cleat adapter (SH85A) have I bought the wrong thing?’ is closed to new replies.