Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano chainring question and rant-ette
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Suffered chain suck on the granny ring on a short test ride. Test was due to new cassette, rear mech, chain, and middle ring.

Being a real sleuth i figured I needed a new granny ring! Popped in to a shop that I was passing and had a root through the Big S display for an 22XT ring. None to be seen. Nice pleasant assistant asked if he could help. So I told him I required a 22T ring to fit M760 XT cranks. So the guy made a call to someone to check BCD and told me the only one he had was a Deore one. Having a ride planned took it. Gets home, removes things stripped down and the bloody thing does not fit. The tabs will not clear the BB shell. Now I am going to have to drive all the way back to a shop I was passing to get a refund. Bugger!

Now the question. What chain ring will fit? Surely the Deore chainset comes with HT2 BB. Anyone shed any light on this?

Spin
    Free Member

I had this problem. The ring you got was designed for use with a square taper bb which sits further out from the frame. By the time I came to fit mine I’d forgotten where I bought it so I just filed off the extended tabs that fouled the BB. No probs with it.

z1ppy

This is not a problem, just file/saw off the excess tabs off the rings.
    Normal practice, search through the chainring threads on here to confirm.

As for why… because they want you to buy the ‘proper’ XT rings…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF the chainring does stop the chain going underneath it and onto the bb axle.

coatesy
    Free Member

Later deore ones will also fit, and are the same price too.

steel4real
    Free Member

As above for the fix & info.

And isn’t it really the shop’s fault for not knowing enough about the parts they sell ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

yes. Staff tend not to get paid much so they aren’t always the best.

Spin
    Free Member

As a shop proprietor once told me: If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano chainring question and rant-ette’ is closed to new replies.