• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cp.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano chain with sram quick link
  • ceebee
    Free Member

Anyone any experience using a sram link with a shimano chain.?

thejesmonddingo

The sram quicklinks are single use only,you need a KMC one.

Speeder

Use one on all my 9 speed bikes – planning on using one on the 11 speed when I build it up

ceebee
    Free Member

Great thanks will give it a go

hjghg5
    Free Member

Works fine for me. I have a feeling the Shimano chain on my commuter has more than one of them at the moment…

matlockmeat
    Free Member

hejesmonddingo – Member

Single use?

Myself and lots of others have been using this email for years and undo them on a regular basis.

Why did/do sram now claim single use only when majority of people use them multiple times?

belugabob
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that it’s only the 11spd SRAM links that are rated as ‘single use’
    Like others, I’ve been using SRAM links on 9 speed chains for ages.
    My 10spd chain has Clarke’s quick links, but this was because they were a lot cheaper than SRAM

njee20
    Free Member

10 and 11 speed SRAM ones are PowerLocks, and not designed to be opened. In reality, now most people use master link pliers it’s no different to the 7/8/9 speed PowerLinks. I’ve re-used 11 speed ones and they work just fine.

Using them in Shimano chains too.

vincienup
    Free Member

Yep, when SRAM went 10sp the quicklinks changed colour to black and became ‘PowerLocks’. Not easy/supposedly impossible to open by hand without tools although some have managed. Masterlink pliers will pop them open.

Forget the justification from SRAM but it sounded plausible even if everyone ignores it.

FWIW, not all KMC links are officially rated reusable. IIRC, it’s something like ‘all removable links on chains sold complete shoudl not be reused, links sold seperately rated for three operations’.

theotherjonv

1/ Decathlon sell their own brand for cheaper than the branded ones and I’m pretty sure they’re actually KMC ones.

2/ Get a pair of powerlink pliers, well worth a fiver and space in your pack. You can thank me first time you need to split a chain in the cold and wet with numb fingers. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-master-link-pliers/rp-prod55925

3/ Get a spare and tape it onto your bike somewhere so it’ll always be there (old school – in a bank coin bag shoved up inside your seat post)

4/ Carry a spare spare too – and if you make this a 9spd one then you can use it on most chains you come across – it’ll also fit 10 or 11 at a push, won’t run as smooth due to a marginal increase in width but it’ll get you home / back to the car. I’ve saved someone’s ride a few times with a spare 9 speed link.

(reminds me – I don’t think I’ve replaced it since the last one I gave away)

eskay

Used a 9 speed on a 10 speed chain in Wednesday night mid ruse and you cannot tell the difference.

I found out yesterday that Wipperman do a reusable 11 speed.

cp

1/ Decathlon sell their own brand for cheaper than the branded ones and I’m pretty sure they’re actually KMC ones.

Yep they are kmc. They just package them with the kmc stamping facing against the cardboard.

3.99 for two pairs.

Fwiw I’ve never had any trouble with any brand of quick link and any brand of chain.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano chain with sram quick link’ is closed to new replies.