Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • shimano centerlock – two diameters?
  • allankelly

Hi, Swayndo and I just exchanged rotors (thanks bud) – my 6-bolt for his centerlock. I’ve never used centerlock before, I have 6-bolt adaptors on my wheels. I received 203mm rotors as agreed, but to my surprise their internal diameter is quite a bit bigger than my hubs centerlock splines diameter. I’m sure my hubs are “normal” because the 6-bolt adaptor fits.

Can anyone shed light on this? Are there 2 centerlock/splined diameters? 203mm so I’m guessing it’s downhill-specific oversized-ness.

(We’re swapping back – thanks again!)

Cheers, al.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC shimano 20mm axled-front hubs need a bigger adaptor (for obvious reasons)?

A grown up will no doubt confirm shortly.

simondbarnes

Are there 2 centerlock/splined diameters?

Yes. Saint hubs use an oversized centerlock spine. Think the 20mm XT & XTR hubs are different as well.

allankelly

They have “SM-RT80” diameter 203 stamped on them.

Which, amongst others, brings up this result:

Original Shimano Deore Saint Oversize-Center Lock Disc. Deore Saint Discs in two sizes available: 160 and 203 mm.

Oversize-Center Lock Disc not compatible with conventional Center lock or disc rotor mount (6 holes System)!

So, that’s that then.

al.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yep SM-RT80 are a Saint specific rotor, the diameter of the centrelock fitting is bigger. Current 20mm hubs such as XTR use a normal size centrelock spline but with a slightly different lock ring. The lock rings have notches on the outer edge so you use an external BB tool (TL-FC32) to tighten them instead of a cassette lock ring tool.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Shitmano strike again – more incompatible stuff to lock you into their systems.

Farticus

OK.

Saint is larger, all the others are the same – 20mm included. Centrelock to 6 bolt adaptors work on all non-Saint hubs, including 20mm (you just use the lockring that comes with the 20mm hub).

So, you’ve got Saint ones but need standard. In my garage I have a selection in different sizes, gathered before I worked out what was going on!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘shimano centerlock – two diameters?’ is closed to new replies.