Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano calliper seals keep failing – help
  • hollywoodeagle74
    Free Member

in 15 mths I’ve had 3 sets of brakes fail with the seals in the calipers leaking fluid onto the pads and rotors. Anyone had similar probs? What causes this? I don’t use cleaners round the brakes, bike stored in a well ventilated garage, bike used every weekend with one night ride during the working week. Mainly trail centre use.
    Hope brakes sealed any better or have I just been very unlucky?

fadda

Probably not that helpful, but you’re definitely using mineral oil…?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve only ever burst one calliper seal on a shimano brake, and I was really trying (clamped the lever to the bar to try and displace a stubbourn air bubble).

3 sounds like you’re doing something wrong!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hollywoodeagle74
    Free Member

Yeah…brakes came pre bled and I haven’t touched them.

winston
    Free Member

My shimano Lx seals randomly failed quite recently but the brakes were 5 years old

garage-dweller

Just a thought but are you running small rotors relative to your size and speed?

If you are maybe, it’s an over heating issue? I am no engineer but have found (being big) that bigger discs does seem to ward off quite such regular maintenance.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you are maybe, it’s an over heating issue? I am no engineer but have found (being big) that bigger discs does seem to ward off quite such regular maintenance.

Wierdly I found the opposite, small rotors meant my pads lasted almost indefinatley as they were always hot regardless of conditions.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i used to run 160mm disks on my SC superlite (which was my only bike at the time)

i took a trip up ben nevis north face path to the hut and back ….

brakes never worked since….. melted the seals.

so if your a brake dragger running 160s then good chance your cooking em.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano calliper seals keep failing – help’ is closed to new replies.