Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano brakes, shimano rotors?
  • haribojangles
    Free Member

I have the new style shimano XT brakes with the finned pads and am currently using 183 hope floating rotors. Does it matter that the rotors are a different brand to the brakes. I have never thought it an issue however i read somewhere the other day that like brand products will work better together. Would it be better to switch to the ICE rotors???

Kuco

Got older style XT brakes but have been using Hope rotors for over a year with no issues.

nosedive
    Free Member

the brand doesn’t matter, but the size does. I think if you use shimano brakes and adaptors it will want a 180mm disc.

I just got cheap ones of ebay – seem pretty good:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180mm-7-Inch-Disc-Brake-Rotor-for-SHIMANO-6-Bolt-IS-/140897375219?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20ce2353f3

pete68
    Free Member

ive got the same set up as the op. no problems with it but am using the hope 183 adaptor.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i read somewhere the other day that like brand products will work better together.

said the man from the marketing department…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Some rotors don’t like some brakes (mainly the really lightweight KCNC and alligator style) but most other should work well together as long as they’re the right size.

bland

I have some hope Saw Rotors and they are slightly thicker which doesnt do well with Shimanos.

honourablegeorge

Ran XT Brakes for ages with Hope 183 rotors, no issues. Used Avid 185 adaptors – oddly, I was given a Hope 183 adaptor and tried it, but found that the disc slightly contacted the caliper with it.

Trimix
    Free Member

Size does matter – thickness and diameter. Other than that you will be fine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brakes, shimano rotors?’ is closed to new replies.