Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano brakes oil refill/bleed issue
  • svalgis
    Free Member

I bought a new SLX M675 caliper as the previous one started leaking. I swapped the hose straight over (with hose and lever still bolted to the bike) and began to go through Shimanos official bleed process using their official kit (with one syringe and one funnel). When I start to fill the system with oil using the syringe from the caliper end, oil immedietly starts filling the funnel but there’s little or no air in it, even after several syringes of oil pushed through (around 150ml in total). Then, when I replace the syringe for a tube and a plastic bag and open the bleed nipple to let the oil flow the other way, only a teeny bit of oil comes out, even after tapping the hose and waiting for quite a bit of time.

What’s up? I’ve swapped levers before and remember it as just requiring a little more oil than during a regular bleed to get it right, so this just seems very odd.

mtbrog
    Free Member

I don’t know how much you are undoing the bleed nipple, but try half a turn, I know my Epic Bleed kit instructions state 1/4 turn and it wasn’t enough!

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Try pulling back on the syringe plunger to ‘pull’ fluid back though the system. Make sure you have enough fluid in your funnel though before you try this.

It could be that you have air trapped in the calliper which isn’t being shifted when you push fluid through the calliper. You could also try operating the brake lever a few times and try forcing some fluid from the master cylinder to the calliper.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    svalgis
    Free Member

The bleed nipple is open more than instructed just to rule that out, and the fluid is obviously inserted as the funnel is filling up so I don’t think it’s that. Operating the brake lever does nothing, no resistance whatsoever and no air bubbles espacing into the funnel. I’ll try pulling back on the syringe next. Thanks guys.

cchris2lou

but does it work ?

soobalias
    Free Member

so you have a reservoir above the lever/master cylinder with fluid in.
    you have a hose attached and not leaking
    you have a caliper with the pads out and the pistons held in place
    you have the bleed nipple open

but the fluid isnt flowing?

is the bike orientated so the caliper is lower than the reservoir?
    you have removed the caliper syringe for a tube and plastic bag – are you sure the bleed nipple is open?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brakes oil refill/bleed issue’ is closed to new replies.