• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano brakes. Deore or SLX.
  • pembo6
    Free Member

How much better r the SLX brakes over Deore? Is it worth the extra $ ?
    I like the look of the ‘fins’.

Mackem

Arent the fins on the pads? Can the Deore take the finned pads? Sorry, no help. I’ve got SLX, they work and look nice too.

actually, one difference, the SLX have reach adjust, which I actually use. Dont think Deore do.

flange
    Free Member

Brake feel wise there isn’t much in it. The reach adjusters on the slx are pretty useful though. I’d personally pay more for slx but both are good brakes

chrisdw
    Free Member

The deore still have reach adjust. It just requires an Allen key.

I have both. They feel mostly the same. Slx don’t fade quite as much tho I assume because of the ceramic pistons.

pembo6
    Free Member

Yeah, the fins are on the pads . I don’t think the finned pads fit deore. But no 100% sure.
    I like the idea of the no tool adjustable reach on the SLX.
    I have heard that the SLX last a bit better. better seals, pistons etc.
    But I have read excellent reviews on deore.

devash
    Free Member

Deores can take the finned pads but obviously you have t buy them separately as they only come with regular resin pads.

They also have reach adjust but not tool-less.

Can’t say anything about longevity; mine have been going for a year without needing a bleed or any maintenance whatsoever. I think they are made in the Shimano Malaysia factory whereas SLX / XT stuff is made in Japan but they’re just as good quality in my opinion.

If there’s not much in it I’d go SLX but you can get Deores for £60 both ends if you look around.

swanny853

There’s not a huge amount in it on feel. As mentioned, the tool free reach adjust can be handy but that’s a personal preference. The other point perhaps worth making is that the slx calipers have a banjo fitting which means that if your frame has funny hose routing (e.g brake on seatstay with sharp bend to run hose down chain stay) the slx can give you nicer routing.

Personal opinion, having deore, slx and xt, I’d probably go slx again unless the deore was a lot cheaper.

Superficial
    Free Member

Shimano aren’t doing a very good job with marketing their brakes IMO. There seems to be only very minor differences in performance from Deore to XTR – very little to justify the vast price difference. Right now I’m running XT but instead of lusting over an upgrade to XTR, I’ll probably just get SLX or even Deore when I’m done with these.

FOG

I have SLX on the front of one bike and Deore on the back after the rear SLX got smashed and I was short of dosh. Very little, if any, difference and will almost certainly replace the front with a Deore when that gives up the ghost

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brakes. Deore or SLX.’ is closed to new replies.