Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano brakes – can I use Hope floating rotors?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have some Deore hydraulic brakes for 4 years, with a 180mm XT rotor up front and a 160mm Deore rotor out back.

I’m happy with the brakes but I fancy some colour. So could I use Hope floating rotors instead?

Northwind

They’re a wee bit tight on clearance- the calipers need to be well centered. Which isn’t a problem but does mean if one side’s slower than the other you might have to deal with a fair amount of faff.

(I used Hope floaters in XT M775 calipers. Total waste of time)

STATO
    Free Member

As above the hope 180mm rotor use (or at least on mine) wider rivets which can catch on the caliper a tiny bit, or the adaptor. A pass with a file on offending sticky out bit usually solves it with no further hassles.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    london_lad_liam
    Free Member

super star rotors?they make a vast array of coloured floaters

snaps
    Free Member

Yes they work fine but you might need to file about 1.5mm off the disc side of the lower caliper mount for certain forks to stop the floating disc rivits touching.
    M975 XTR on Revs with 183mm Hope disc & ‘H’ adapter.

pete68
    Free Member

I’m using 183 front and 160 rear ones with the 785 xt’s. Work fine and haven’t had to file anything down either.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Thanks all.

khani
    Free Member

Tech 2/4 floaters will rub, v2 floaters are fine as they have a deeper braking surface, but the smallest is 180mm

dufresneorama
    Free Member

183mm front and 160mm rear, clearance at the rivets is very small. I filed a little off the front caliper and used washers between the fork and mount to centre the caliper over the rotor better…I had nightmares of caliper dinging rotor and me flying over the bars! Rear clearance isn’t much better, but didn’t have to fiddle with the rear.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I use Hope (non-floating) 200 front, 180 (Rohloff-mount) rear with XT M765. Limited choice on the rear and I wanted a matching front one.

Intersting comments about the tight clearance. They are a ball-ache to set up rub-free, but other than that work just fine.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Never had anything but problems with Hope Floating Discs I’d forgo the colour and take consistant braking without warped rotors by fitting some Shimano RT76 discs instead.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brakes – can I use Hope floating rotors?’ is closed to new replies.