• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by core.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano brake squeal?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Do shimano pads/brakes always squeal like banshees at the sight of moisture?

damascus
    Free Member

Are they genuine pads?

Try realigning the calipers and use brake cleaner on the rotors..

I use superstar pads which are great and they don’t scream any more than other brakes.

bigbloke
    Free Member

They are brand new so shimano pads. All aligned ok etc. Avid discs though.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Are they bedded in?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Been down a very steep long hill yet?

bigbloke
    Free Member

To be fair probably not, just a wet mostly flat 23 mile mud plug.

dantsw13

Brand new probably means organic pads, so not great in the wet. To be honest, I’ve had all brake varieties make horrible noises from time to time.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

All brakes pretty much squeal in the wet

My new shimano xt’s do with hope rotors and now do with Ice tech ones too, only in the damp or wet/cold through puddles soon as you brake on a descent they warm up and should stop but with the cold and moisture in the air it’s quite common for them to squeal…. On the few dry rides I’ve used them they have been silent even with sintered

If they are finned pads they are probably sintered which generally are noisier anyway

davenorth1
    Free Member

no getting away from the squeal pal. its just a horn. honestly

crispybacon
    Free Member

it’s a built in ‘who ate all the pies’ o’meter in the pads 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

My organic ice tech pads squeal in the wet. Weirdly my organic, none ice tech pads never squeaked in the wet.

Brakes appear to be aligned fine, no rubbing, central and both pistons moving equally.

core

I’ve got new Deore M615’s, came with organic pads, I’m using icetech rotors – front is squealing like a stuck pig and not working very well at all, have bled brakes with shimano funnel, sanded pads, cleaned discs with brake cleaner, aligned caliper – still no good.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

only thing left to try is new pads then…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They are brand new so shimano pads. All aligned ok etc. Avid discs though.

Wierdly, I have this combination too, also squeels like a bugger untill (or unless) warm and dry.

As for core, +1 for new pads. And clen the disk with something that’s actualy clean, like washing up liquid, and rinse with water, a lot of ‘cleaners’ leave a residue.

Northwind

All my brakes squeal, I’ve got the bad touch. Though tbh with brand new brakes I’d assume fitting is the cause…

faustus

I have this on my rear SLX with sintered pads – they seem very sensitive to contamination and I have already replaced one pair because of this, despite regular cleaning with brake cleaner and sanding pads. Any chance it could have been contaminated at some point?

core

I’m thinking contamination or some residue somewhere on mine, as they are bled up, seem to be well adjusted, and they’re squealing, as well as not working very well. Installed the back identically, and they’re perfect, can lock up a 2.3 purgatory on dry tarmac at about 5mph with very little effort.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brake squeal?’ is closed to new replies.