Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shimano brake olives and barbs query ?
  • renton
    Free Member

I know the barbs are different for the various hoses but I was wondering if the actual olives are the same ?

I need to shorten a hose and have a new olive and barb kit but for a different hose.

My plan was to re use the barb if I can but fit a new olive.

Cheers
    Steve

Olly
    Free Member

i did a shortening on “what i could get my hands on” in the bike shop (they let me rummage). I used a magura universal olive. It looked identical in diameter, but It gave me no end of grief. In the end i sucked it up and bought the shimano pair (2 quid) and it went on first time.
    The cost wasnt a problem, it was getting to the shop in the week! For the sake of 2 quid for a proper set, its not worth dicking about with, and the subsequent swearing, and getting fluid everywhere.

I think shimano only use one size olive and barb?

PJM1974
    Free Member

What Olly said. It’s easier to get the right barb and olive for the sake of three sniffs.

My carpet has never been the same since.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimw
    Free Member

My plan was to re use the barb if I can but fit a new olive.

I have done this with no problem,
    But as the two parts are not expensive…….

Junkyard
    Free Member

hydraulic hose is a standard size so whilst the connectors can vary the olives and barbs wont

sillyoldman

There are 2.3mm and 2.1mm inserts for SM-BH59 and SM-BH90 hoses, but the olives are the same as the external diameter of the hoses are the same.

Olly
    Free Member

the ID of the olive/ OD of the hose might be correct, but the profile varies, so a shimano lever/compression nut wont necessarily compress a non shimano olive correctly. I think this was the problem i had.

renton
    Free Member

I have two new olives and barbs for slx brakes but am shortening a deore hose.

I can see the internal bore is different on the different barbs but I cant tell about the olive.

sillyoldman

Absolutely – I’m just saying that there is only one olive from Shimano.

renton
    Free Member

Sweet cheers bud. Will try and get the barn out of the hose tomorrow then.

sillyoldman

Stanley knife and a great deal of care, and you’ll be grand.

coatesy
    Free Member

As above, olives are the same, silver barbs for smaller ID hose, brass barbs for larger ID hose. Best way i’ve found to rescue old barbs is to hold the old olive in a vice (not too tightly or you can crush the barb), file through it in two places so it splits, then skin the hose off with a sharp Stanley knife. Far easier to use a new one if possible, but if you’re stuck then it’s not difficult.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Can I jump in and ask a related question…I need to swap a broken lever for a new one. No hose shortening required, and I have a new barb and olive. Do I need to trim a small bit of hose to get it to work properly, or can I just put the new olive and barb straight in?

scotroutes

Straight in should be fine. I’ve swapped over loads of levers on new bikes without any issues.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers

MartynS

@greatape
    Just done that exact job today. Just be careful with everything. I filled the lever res up before connecting the hose then just did a really quick bleed on the lever when it was all tight.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Did you use a new olive and barb?

And how did you pre-fill the lever? Through the port or take the cap off?

MartynS

No, old olive and barb.
    Dripped fluid into lever through where the hose should go (bleed port still done up) gently Pulled lever to get fluid in to it. When it stopped bubbling I just attached it and did the quick bleed. Will report back if there a mysterious overnight problem!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll try that!

thegreatape
    Free Member

No, old olive and barb.
    Dripped fluid into lever through where the hose should go (bleed port still done up) gently Pulled lever to get fluid in to it. When it stopped bubbling I just attached it and did the quick bleed.

This seems to have worked a treat, a 15min job.

renton
    Free Member

SORTED MINE TO!!

CHEERS FOR THE HEADS UP

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brake olives and barbs query ?’ is closed to new replies.