Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano brake bleed woes..
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve bled my XT M785 brakes and they go to the bar. I’ve followed the epic bleed solutions guide perfectly a couple of times now to no avail.

I bled them with the block in and assumed the issue may be that the pads are worn so the pistons don’t want resetting right in and rebled with pads and wheels in (risky I know) but the same happens. They’re 18 months old and have had alot of use, are they dead?

I can pump the lever a few times and they feel fine if not perfect but leave them 5 minutes and they go back to the bar again, I know they’re supposed to adjust with pad wear, does this take a bit of time after a bleed?

Really can’t afford new brakes at the moment..

devash
    Free Member

When I bleed my Deore M615s I fully remove the caliper from the bike and let it hang completely vertically from the bars while the bike is in the bike stand. I then follow the epic bleed routine with my epic kit.

I’ve found in the past that if you leave the caliper attached to the bike then it was hard to get a really good bleed on the rear brake. The front one was always ok though.

You can also overfill the reservoir by doing a quick ‘bubble bleed’ which gives a really nice feel but you have to remember to take the reservoir cap off when pushing the pistons back when fitting new pads as you can damage the reservoir seals.

chrishc777
    Free Member

cheers devash, however I’ve found the issue. I had some oil left on the lever body and was squishing the lever and heard a squelching noise.. air and fluid escaping under the silver cap. Reservoir seal gone.

dirtydog
    Free Member

They’re 18 months old and have had alot of use…

They’re still under warranty then!

alpineharry
    Free Member

Heard madison are usually pretty good with warranty. (Used to work in a shop who dealt with madison, didn;t do any warranties during the period I worked there though)

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yup Shimano have a 2 year warranty so any doubts and get them back to wherever you got them.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Chris, I’ve got an old XT M775 lever which should work if you’re desperate?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano brake bleed woes..’ is closed to new replies.