Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano – Avid brake adapters ?
  • fuzzynod

Been running Avid Juicy 7 s on my Stumpjumper. Just bought a set of the new Shimano SLX. whilst waiting for them to arrive I got to thinking will they fit on my Avid adapters or do I need to buy the corresponding Shimano adapters too ? 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what size are the brakes, style (PM I assume) what were the last ones, what rotors.

Shimano are 160/180/203/200 I think. There was a nasty avid 185 size in there somewhere. Basic answer – wait till they arrive and see by trying to bolt them on. If not you can just pop to any bike shop normally and pick some up.

JoeG
    Free Member

I have Avid Elixir 1s on one bike, and recently put some Shimanos on another. I held the Shimano adapter next to the Avid one, and they were significantly different, though both were IS to post rear adapters…

fbk
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. The slx calipers should fit on the avid adapters. Only issue is if your using different sized rotors but, if that’s the case, the new brakes should come with correct mounting kit anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the new brakes should come with correct mounting kit anyway.

Shimano just comes as brake hose and lever, no mounting kit as that is specific to the disc you want and the brake mounts on frame and fork.

fbk
    Free Member

Mikewsmith – you miss my point, or rather I didn’t explain myself very well!

If the op has just bought the basic kit then the calipers will just transfer straight onto the mounts/adapters they’ve already got. I just meant, if they have bought a kit with different sized rotors included, it should come with mounting kit too.

iamtheresurrection

As above, Avid’s 185 adapter will sort of work, but you’ll not be in the right place on the disc. You can’t do a Shimano 180 adapter on an Avid 185 disc though, it won’t clear.

Best get a Shimano 180 adapter if that’s your disc size.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Fark me, that’s a selection of confusing answers!

Your adaptors will be matched to you rotor size, not the calipers that go on them, so they’ll fit avid or shimano (or hayes/formula/hope etc) calipers just fine.

fbk
    Free Member

Yeah ok, ^^^^^ he said it better 🙂

scaredypants

You can’t do a Shimano 180 adapter on an Avid 185 disc though, it won’t clear

unless you put a couple of washers between it and the caliper

chilled76
    Free Member

Listen to Adam@bikeworks and scardypants.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano – Avid brake adapters ?’ is closed to new replies.