• This topic has 36 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Shimano AP66/AM45/DX shoes- why do they look soooooooo remedial?!
  • hora
    Free Member

****, I’ve just popped them on and boy they look like something Frankenstein crossed with a skateboarder would wear.

Anyone else thought this when they bought yours?????????? Do you get used to them?

The uppers look inflated upwards as though you are swollen feet. Correction-shoes?!

excitable1
    Free Member

Don’t bother. Too heavey, no grip, suck up water, cold, impossible to manage in the winter and crap sizing.

I had 2 pairs over 4 years an then someone put me onto these….

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56219

Sooooo much better. Half the weight, warm, easy to get on and off, proper grip for bike hiking and they come in half sizes….. (If you dont mind the ‘more reasons to shop at Morrisons’ look !)

binners

Do you look even more ‘special’ than usual?

hora
    Free Member

You know I love pasty/Camper type shoes but these are hideous …..and the weight 😯

binners

They’re not the white ones are they?

ton

hora, you usual camo garb will detract people from looking at your shoes……..so dont worry………. 😆

hora
    Free Member

Black. They probably don’t look too bad in size 40 but in size 45 they look like giant SKETCHERS.

smiff
    Free Member

what.. the AM41 are very light and have very good grip. they do look remedial, but you get used to it. and they cost half what those Mavics cost. and they fit me really well so they get my vote still.
    it’s 5.10s that absorb water.

freeridenick
    Free Member

I have to agree
    45 in MP66 shoe is not the size same as the AM45 – the 45 looks enormous!

I set an ebay search save for MP66 in size 45 a few months ago.

luckily a new pair came up the other day so snapped them up.

thepodge
    Free Member

Its not like you’ve not seen me, Tom and Morton wearing them before and then asked us what size we have.

They are the best shoes Ive had, Managed to walk up Snowdon in them with no bother. Admittedly they arent the lightest but then neither is your bike.

hora
    Free Member

Its not like you’ve not seen me, Tom and Morton wearing them

Sets pisstake to stun-mode.

hora
    Free Member

😆

binners

Sweet Jesus! They look like something off Buck Rogers 😯

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m sitting here wearing some sketchers, my riding shoes are the white shimanos 😆

hora
    Free Member

The white DX/66’s look good – due to the styling. Thing is I’ve got the AM’s on under the desk and they feel clumsy, hard to articulate (tongue too high against the front of my ankle etc. Maybe its down to feet/shape?

I’m a 10 in every shoe I’ve worn but even these sz45’s feel a wee bit close in the toe area.

binners

They look like those trainers you can get for babies, that have been directly scaled up

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve have forseen your next ride out with your mates…..

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/mv-eyji/run_forrest_run/

rootes1

Binners..

yep BR:

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why on earth would you buy shoes that look shit even in the publicity picture?

Are you blind or did you just fancy a shoe with 66 or 45 in the name?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

Ive got a set of the 661 filter shoes they look just like normal shoes and arnt too heavy

ok grip on wet rocks isnt great but if you get them in black they look just like normal shoes

toys19
    Free Member

have you seen 510’s?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i quite like ’em.

the lace-flap-cover is bloody brilliant. Laces are better than velcro, but without a flap-cover you’ve got to double knot them. Undoing a tight, damp, double knot, when you you’ve got cold damp fingers is a nightmare.

the soles are actually quite thin, and stiff, very clever.

the soles also work very well on flat pedals, and do a half decent job of dealing with a bit of muddy hiking, which is also clever.

they do look odd compared to ‘normal’ shoes, but normal shoes are crap for biking in.

other shoes are available, i’m sure they all look much better…

(they don’t)

hora
    Free Member

Bought a pair of DX’s after refunding the AM45s

Ewan
    Free Member

I bloody love them. The flap over cover is ace – keeps your feet dry. Takes a lot to get them soaked as well.

Yes they look retarded but they work soooo well…

* This is the flat shoe version mind. None of this ‘I can’t bunny hop properly’ clipless b0llocks.

wazaB
    Free Member

hora, wheres my cranks that I have paid you for 2 days ago?????

Plenty time to play on here but you ignore my emails asking whats happening with the SLX cranks….

You have until midnight to reply then I am going to the POLICE….

hora
    Free Member

Is that a serious post? You pay for something then the next day you chase threatening me. Email me your payment details. You can have the money back tomorrow.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve just put the kettle on as well

KWALITY

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I don’t want to jump in and spoil the fight (which looks like the only way this thread will continue to grow from this point on), but why do I still see loads of DH’rs sporting the stormtrooper-esque white version of the Shimano trail shoe, yet I can’t find them anywhere, thinking they’ve discontinued them?

tarquin
    Free Member

I like my AM45s for the reasons mentioned above.

Chunky design, easy to walk in, lace up but then the flap prevents your feet getting covered in cack and wet, easy to clean just wipe over with a sponge and spray them down.

I have big feet so will look silly in whatever, and lets face it, any SPD shoe will look better than road shoes with their sticky up toes.

thepodge
    Free Member

Jim, the white ones have been discontinued, you can find the odd pair if you look but there’s not many

rOcKeTdOg
    jimcollins67
    Free Member

Excitable1,
    how do you find the sizing on the mavic alpines ? I’m after a pair but don’t know how the sizing is on them.
    Size 8 feet, but use size 9’s in shimano shoes.

hora
    Free Member

Keep an eye on ebay.

hora
    Free Member

I was bidding on these and would make a good alternative for anyone looking for a similar shoe: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320902588193?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1156

atlaz
    Free Member

I think the Shimanos look decidedly less special than 5-10s. I present you, exhibit A

hora
    Free Member

Those look like the sort of shoes my 2yr old son wears.

hora
    Free Member

The DX’s have arrived. Wierd they feel just like normal trainers on. The AM45 felt like clunky oversized boots compared. Anyone else worn both?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Shimano AP66/AM45/DX shoes- why do they look soooooooo remedial?!’ is closed to new replies.