Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shimano Am45 trail shoes ?
  • plus-one

Hi guys

Needing a pair of spd compatible trail shoes(need some ankle protection) are there any others I should consider ?

Cheers 😀

chrishc777
    Free Member

I have AM45s and love them, very weather proof, comfy and look good. picked them up for £40 from evans.
    Only con is they’re very heavy.
    And I sized up 2 sizes, come up very small

johnnystorm

Happy AM45 wearer here too. Can’t say I’ve thought they’re small. Mine are the same size as any other shoes I buy.

plus-one

Thanks for info guys good to hear … Are they really heavy ? Bit hot on warm days ?

Cheers

chrishc777
    Free Member

Much heavier than XC disco slippers obviously but they do feel heavy when picking them up. haven’t had any troubles with overheating

slowoldman

I have AM41s, the flat version. I bought a size up due to the “perceived wisdom”. They are spacious. They don’t seem particular warm or heavy to me. Very easy for Mrs S. to clean too.

plus-one

Cheers … Guess the weight isn’t really an issue when I’m winching a 30lb sled uphill 😆

rocketman
    Free Member

Disappointing shoes imo

Heavy yes but not particularly stiff for a SPD shoe. Uppers too flexible. laces are attached to the shoe by fabric loops which wear through and break. No metal eyelets. Laces too long.

Otherwise ok

prawny

I had some, came up far too small, and the sole is so fat I had difficulty unclipping. Sacked em off and got some flats. Anyone want some two ride old trail pedals?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

mine weighed 1.5kg the pair after a wet commute this morning

i like mine, however they were my first foray into MTB SPD’s – about to jump to something lighter for dry xc duties, however for wet peaks days ill keep the AM45s

BillOddie

I have had a set of AM45s for about 18 months.

I found them a good all round shoe but agree that they are very heavy and my feet did get overly warm in anything over 20C but generally that’s not really an issue in the UK is it.

Didn’t have any issues with the laces or the lace loops.

They aren’t super stiff carbon soled disco slippers but on the plus side you can actually walk in them!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

regarding the laces, i tied mine once, and just squeeze my feet in and pull the velcro top section tight

jamesfts
    Free Member

If you’re coming from disco slippers they’ll feel heaving and flexy.

If, like me, you’re coming from 5.10s the AM45s feel quite light and stiff in comparison.

Sizing comes up a little small, the flap over the laces makes them more weather proof than 5.10s. Laces are longish but double knotted fit happily behind the flap.

Looks wise they’re not too wacky for post ride pub.

My only complaint is that I’ve now had 2 pairs and sole has started to come away from the shoe at the toe end. I thought this was due to doing a bit of trial building in my 1st pair but the 2nd I’ve looked after and still had the same problem.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Mine are ‘ok’, but nowhere near as good as the old MP66’s i have. They replaced the mesh on the MP66 toe with holes in the sides of the AM45 which let in water quicker I find.

Oh and I bought the right size and they fitted.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Am45 trail shoes ?’ is closed to new replies.