Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano AM41 shoes
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Do the soles wear down quickly on them? I’m looking for some replacements for my worn out Karvers.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced mine after over 4,000 miles of use… and if it hadn’t been for using them on the odd dig day I think they might still be OK. The soles eventually cut up – but they are still pretty grippy.

banks
    Free Member

Better than five:tens anyway.

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve had two pairs of am40s, same vibram sole I think, my Easton flat boys chewed up the soles pretty quickly, 5.10s seem better.

mikey74
    Free Member

Any idea how they size-up? I’m usually an 8.5.

Edit: The soles on my Five Tens are still perfectly intact, after several years. I certainly can’t fault that about them.

I’d like the Freeriders but I want the flap over the laces, which leaves me with either some more Karvers or the AM41s. I would like to try something that has a bit more feel on the pedals, which is why I’m leaning towards the Shimanos.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’m a 9 but needed to size up to a 10.
    They do run a size small ime.
    Soles are reasonable depending on your pedals, not as grippy or long lasting as 5.10s though.
    They are good at keeping water out.

pictonroad

They cut up very quickly I think, the uppers are fantastic which is why I stick with them, however the soles are not really up to the job, considering the price, it’s unacceptable.

Search on it, been a few threads round this subject, I think someone got a refund due to the soles getting chewed up in a month.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Easton flatboys ate the soles on my AM40s in a matter of weeks. Since swapping to nano-style pedals no more damage has been done and hopefully they’ll last a while as they are great shoes otherwise.

They size similar to five ten, and I prefer them as the more flexible sole gives more feel, I hated freeriders as it was like wearing concrete in terms of feel.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I do feel like trying something with a bit more feel in the sole than my Karvers.

bigjim

I find the upper dies first, the sole does break up a bit, but for me the sole started to detach from the upper, and the black coating of the upper material started cracking and coming off. Lace flap
    means I won’t buy anything else for flats though.

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmmm. It’s a wonder why more mtb shoes of this type don’t come with the lace flap. If I was designing a shoe it would be one of the first features to include.

mikey74
    Free Member

Just a thought: Do you think it would be possible to get some Freeriders and stick on a velcro strip either side of the laces and use the lace cover off my old Karvers?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano AM41 shoes’ is closed to new replies.