• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ezzy.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Shimano AM40 v Five Ten Sam Hill
  • j.anstee
    Free Member

Looking at getting some flat pedal specific shoes, looking at the above. Your thoughts and opinions good or bad please?

Thanks

stevede
    Free Member

Both very good, points to note, am40’s size up small so beware if ordering online, the 5.10’s have quite a wide sole too and i now have the freeriders which i find much better.
    I own both 5.10’s and am40’s and use both regularly, you won’t go wrong with either.

RagTi
    Free Member

Yeah be aware of sizing on the AM40s, I am a size 11 but had to get a size 12
    Also you may need to put the stiffer sole in (that comes with the shoes) as I got a bit of foot strain with the standard ones.

But in my eyes the AM40s are way cooler, very comfortable and quite? warm, feels more like a stiff trainer.

Have not heard of any negatives on the AMs

Hope this helps
    Kev

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

The Am40s are so much better looking IMO, although, aren’t they replacing them with the horrific AM41s?
    I love my AM40s, going to buy more.

rewski
    Free Member

am40’s are now discontinued so be quick

Northwind

AM40s are the best out there IMO, marginally less grip but far better made, better featured (adjustable stiffness) and more practical (soak up less water, dry faster). My 5 10s were fantastic for grip but they were made like a supermarket trainer- cardboard insoles for example 😕 Bad linings too. They fell apart after one winter. My AM40s have done exactly the same amount of riding now and are still going strong, some wear on the sole but that’s it.

But I’d still buy them again if there was no AM40 or equivalent, they’re not awful, just a long way second best.

Oh and they all look bloody stupid. The 5 10 Karver is quite good though as it gets the lace flap, definately a step up from the normal ones.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

The AM41’s aren’t as bad to look at in real life. I’ve just got some and they’re brilliant. They have a full cover over the laces and not too much mesh, so are quite good at keeping the mud/rain out.

Highly recommended but definitely get a size or two bigger than normal..

ahwiles
    Free Member

5:10’s are made from cardboard – they really are.

this is a rubbish idea.

they perform well, but they stay wet for weeks, and then they fall apart.

Northwind

It’s not that bad an idea if you only ever ride in the dry… Think it’s just another design that isn’t very UK-compatible more than actually being bad

bigjim

I got the AM40s as the 510s looked like moon boots at my foot size.

As pointed out sizing isn’t too straightforward, I have very narrow feet which the AM40s are good for, but found my toes touching the end of the 46, so bought the 47 which felt better. On the bike they feel too big though, with my feet sliding around inside them, so might go and try the 46’s again. So I might have a spare pair of size 47s at some point…

dustypumpkins

Get the AM40s while you still can, I don’t like the look of the AM41s. They’re good shoes, nicely warm and keep your feet more dry than other shoes. I’ve never had Five Tens so can’t compare however.
    Using the softer insole gives more feel on the pedals which is nice.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Not sure the AM40s need another vote…. but they are great! As all comments above, dry and warm, and buy a size bigger. Can’t imagine not having them now, which is a good test. They clean up to be almost as good as new – from extremely muddy – and I re-proof with a scotchguard type spray from time to time.

proflexforever
    Free Member

am40 all the way..i bought a pair when they were relase before any reviews…just because they looked good…i was doing a 385 mile bike ride from lowestoft to landsend (east to west)
    they were awesome all the way round…had to adjust laces a few times as lost circulation in my toes a bit.

there ace!! cheapest i can find is £55 though..

you get what you pay for IMHO

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve no experience of Five Ten but my AM40’s have been superb. So much so I’ve just bought another pair as spares. Most online sellers have sold out now so be quick if you want some.

yoshimi

I’ve had both…….

prefer the feel of the 5:10’s but prefer the durability and weatherproofing(ish) of the AM40’s.

would struggle to recommend one over the other – you won’t go wrong with either.

hilldodger
    Free Member

RopeyReignRider – Member
    The AM41’s aren’t as bad to look at in real life.

Do the AM41’s have the same soft/firm option for the footbed as the AM40’s ?

Left it too late I think to get a spare pair of AM40’s in my size 🙁
    if anyone sees a pair of AM40’s in a size 44 I’d be most grateful for a link 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

So do Shimano AM 40s and 41s come up the same size as other Shimano or smaller?

I have a pair of MP66 that fit me perfectly so shoudl I get same size?

cheers

flyingmonkeycorps

If you can find any that fit the MP90s are pretty good too, and cheap…

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you want something better looking than the 5:10 Sam Hill, easier to dry, but will same sole, have a look at the 5:10 Freerider. It’s my first and only flat shoe, and I love em. Even bought another pair for casual non-bike use

chakaping
    Free Member

Nobody had the AM shoes and other Shimano shoes to compare sizing?

Somebody help me spend my hard-earned money please!

Stuey01
    Free Member

Nobody had the AM shoes and other Shimano shoes to compare sizing?

Somebody help me spend my hard-earned money please!

Got a 44 in the RT81 disco slipper type and a 43 in the AM40’s.

I’m usually border line 42/43 in normal shoes.

ezzy
    Free Member

I’ve just checked- have the Sam Hill 510s in a 45 and the Shimano AM40s in a 46. Prefer the AM40s. I’m around a 91/2 to 10 shoe size.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Shimano AM40 v Five Ten Sam Hill’ is closed to new replies.