• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Goz.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano Alfine……first ride!
  • lookmanohands
    Free Member

Well after lots of umming and ahhhing I decided to bite the bulit and go for an alfine hub. The whole package (shifter, sprocket, nuts etc) adds just a smidge under 2lbs to the overall weight of the bike. I fitted it to my 29er scandal slot dropout jobbie, it was very easy to fit no filing needed anywhere. Got out for a quick spin last night and I have to say I was very impressed, didn't really notice the extra weight over the back end (did a few jumps, drops etc). I deliberatly shifted under load, while not pedaling, when stationary and apart from a bit of cable stretch it worked flawlessly. I would say that there was hardly any noticable drag but in gear no4 it felt abit "spongy". Overall I would deff reccomend it to anybody that's thinking about it. Will keep you posted on long term use. 🙂

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Are you using a chain tug on the Sacndal?

thomthumb
    Free Member

where was it from & what rim is it in?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

No need for a chain tug, the non turn washers have a nice knerled (sp?) face to them so I doubt that the wheel will move. Got the set up from my lbs and I built up the hub on a sun/ringle eq21 rim. Will post piccy later on

sheldona
    Free Member

SS for those who aren't man enough 😉

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! Gotta get in training for April 😯

sheldona
    Free Member

;-0 winning is for losers!

Saccades
    Free Member

Only problems I've had with mine in 10 months have been when either the nuts came undone or the EBB slipped.

It's worth having an adjustabe spanner in the car and check the nuts every 2-3 rides (mine have come undone on the DS 2x, but the 2nd time was due to the trailer hitch I'd just added).

Goz
    Free Member

Nice one mate, keep them trails polished….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Alfine……first ride!’ is closed to new replies.