• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Del.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano Alfine question
  • riverdog
    Free Member

Just fitted one of these to my Carver and it all works fine.

The Carver has the gear cable coming down the seatstay rather than along the chainstay, which means the cassette joint bracket which has the gear cable stop on is pointing upwards to line up with the cable.
    All the diagrams show the bracket horizontal at the bottom of the hub, but that would mean a very odd, big loop of cable to attach the outer gear cable.
    Does it matter if the bracket is pointing up? as I say it all seems to work OK.

craigxxl
    Free Member

So long as you have the correct non-turn washers in place then it doesn’t matter. My Pompetamine faces upwards rather than horizontal.

chrispo
    Free Member

Have just been dismantling mine, and I can’t see why it would be a problem.

monkeyboyjc

So long as you have the correct non-turn washers in place

^^ This – ie. not the green and blue which are for vertical dropouts

GrahamS

My Pompetamine faces upwards rather than horizontal.

Hijack: Oooh how does that ride? Been idly lusting after it from afar and deciding if I can justify that much on something that would mainly get used for commuting.

Would it handle rough track or is a harsher road-only ride?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use mine down the canal towpath quite often on 35wide tyres for a bit more comfort. Cobble stone sections are normally done out of the seat though. I’m on my second frame after changing from a large to XL for additional reach.

monkeyboyjc – Member

So long as you have the correct non-turn washers in place

^^ This – ie. not the green and blue which are for vertical dropouts

I think mine has the green and blue washers as the dropouts are horizontal but the cable exit is at 45 degree so mimics a vertical dropout

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I think mine has the green and blue washers as the dropouts are horizontal but the cable exit is at 45 degree so mimics a vertical dropout

Agreed.

monkeyboyjc

in that case 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

I found the cable stop got in the way if the chain when I had mine following the seat stay, I now have a very small s bend in the cable not a “massive loop” which works fine

specialknees
    Free Member

I used the Green and Blue washers on my 456. Worked fine, cable should really go down the seat stay but re-routed a full length one down the chainstay.

And it works great off road. Im totally sold on it and Im sure hub gears are the future.

grtdkad

+1 here

Green & Blue washers on my Whippet’s Alfine 11. Works great, cable runs parallel to the seat stay.
    “And it works great off road” – my new summer mud n clarts bike!!

spooky_b329

My cable stop annoyingly comes up exactly between the chain and seat stays, which means I have to have quite a tortuous bend in the cable to the first stop. Doesn’t appear to affect shifting.

I don’t suppose there is anywhere that sells custom washers, say in steps of 30 degrees? I was thinking of trying some of the other standard washers but it appears the little tabs are specific to the type of dropout they will be braced in.

Del

when i had mine on a P7 i used the blue and green that put the alfine cable stop in conflict with the chain. just bent it a bit. it was fine. running the cable down the seatstay reduces water in the cable and therefore the chances of freezing in winter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Alfine question’ is closed to new replies.