Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Shimano Alfine 8 proper borked
  • shermer75
    Free Member

It was making all sorts of grinding and crunchy noises as well as not really working so I have taken the internals out. There is a ring at the non-drive side that is in little pieces and a spring hanging out that doesn’t look like it should be on the outside at all. Any ideas? Anything worth salvaging from this? I can post pics it helps..

tjagain

IIRC the only spares you can get are the main bearings or a complete new cluster. Just get a new cluster and put it in the hub

this is not well organised but all the info is there
    https://hubstripping.wordpress.com/

Mowgli
    Free Member

Pics might help. I had one in which the roller clutch carrier disintegrated. The rest of the hub is ok though if you want any spares – or if your roller clutch is ok I’ll have it off you 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shermer75
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have mine in bits at home; I’ll try to remember to take a few photos to see what it ought to look like.

shermer75
    Free Member

I had one in which the roller clutch carrier disintegrated.

Which bit is the roller clutch?

Edit: ah sorry, didn’t realise you had already replied! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

I have mine in bits at home; I’ll try to remember to take a few photos to see what it ought to look like.

That would be amazing! Thanks!!! 🙂

Mowgli
    Free Member

This is the roller clutch, and is very much what mine looks like!

shermer75
    Free Member

It looks like there is a ton of stuff at SJS- it’s all marked as Nexus but it seems like it will fit Alfine 8 too

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-hub-gear-spares/?groupset=nexus&geoc=US

tjagain

Not all nexus and alfine stuff is compatible IIRC – are there not two different clutch versions? Basically the same tho

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yours does look different to what the internals normally look like. Wonder if you’ve somehow pulled out the splined connection which normally stays inside the hub shell? Usually this is what it looks like when you pull it apart.

I think the bit I’ve scribbled in yellow should be in the shell rather than pulled out.

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks for that Mowgli! I found your old thread too when I was googling for Alfine info (very useful!):

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/alfine-8-failure-help-please

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m struggling to match up the two images- it looks like it might be the same part that has failed, but mine looks different because there is a plastic cover on it? Does that sound about right?

shermer75
    Free Member

I think we are posting at the same time! Yep, I think you are right- the internals absolutely refused to budge at first so they got a load of wacks with a hammer, then they fell out really easily lol 🙂

Mowgli
    Free Member

I reckon yes, your roller clutch has failed, but in doing so has jammed itself between the internals and the outer part, so you’ve inadvertently pulled out the splined part which ought to remain in shell.

I think your initial diagnosis is correct – it’s borked. Bummer.

tjagain

I am pretty sure when I stripped mine that there was nothing left in the shell

all the shimano exploded diagrammes are available on the net http://si.shimano.com/#/

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve just levered that bit off and the roller clutch fell out like confetti lol

shermer75
    Free Member

SJS are saying they have the part for £130. Rose bikes sell a whole new SG-S7000 (the new top normal 8 speed) for £170. Hmmm…

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/shimano-nexus-sg8r35-ring-gear-unit-36w-9802/?geoc=US

shermer75
    Free Member

Sundayjumper

If you’re considering upgrading to Di2 there’s a SG-S705 for sale in the classifieds.

<cough> <blatant plug>

shermer75
    Free Member

Good to know! 🙂

To be honest, now I have a rough idea of how long they last (about 5 years or 15-20,000 miles) I’m still deciding whether I want another. I may have been expecting too much but I was hoping it would last longer! 🙂

tjagain

Mine has lasted longer than that and is now in service on the ebike. did you ever service it? annual oil dip and they last forever

shermer75
    Free Member

Nope! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Had a 32-16 drivetrain too lol 🙂

tjagain

The only ones I know that have failed have not been servied. It takes about 40 mins to do

shermer75
    Free Member

I was put off the idea of an oil dip when I saw reports on the interwebs of oil leaking out on to the disc brake rotor…

tjagain

Its not an issue. You drain off the excess and anyway any leaks are the drive side

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Alfine 8 proper borked’ is closed to new replies.