Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano 3×11 xtr groupset?
  • rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Am I missing something here or are Shimano launching a new xtr groupset the could go upto 33speed.

They launch the 1×11 xtr range next year, but looking on CRC they are showing a double and triple crank to match.

Who or rather why would you need 3×11?

Over to you guys for your thoughts

bol

Or 3×10 to that matter. There’s a whole thread about it somewhere. I think the consensus was that it rather mings anyway and that they’ve missed a trick not going for 10-42.

orangeboy
    Free Member

The single front ring is mostly a uk thing rather than world wide

Houns

I like triples

mashiehood
    Free Member

^ this
    im not sure they have missed a trick, I was never that keen on a 42 at the back as my 36 with a 32 upfront has been almost perfect. I will be going over to XTR 11 speed when released.

Actually, someone might be able to answer this question, will the XTR 11 speed cassette only work with the XTR 11 speed chain?

mashiehood
    Free Member

when I was typing ‘this’ I was making reference to the orangeboy post and not houns – I hate triples!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yes there will be a groupset with a 22t granny and a 40t top sprocket. So almost a 2:1 ratio. I think I’d struggle to stay upright pedalling in that..

MSP

But if you had a triple you wouldn’t run a wide spread cassette, the largest sprocket would be 32 or 30, and then you can take advantage of lovely close ratios.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Exactly! Why would you want a wide cassette and a triple?

hatter

I always wondered about why top-end groupos always had overly wide gear ratios as an option, (Dura ace triples, 3 x 11 XTR etc).

Then I went to Germany and saw all the old boys riding around on custom sit-up and beg Santos touring bikes with full XTR or Dura-Ace drive trains. They’re everywhere.

That’ll be who 3 x 11 is aimed at, move along, nothing for you to see here.

tom200

33 is 3 more than 30, so must be better! An easy sales trick to get people with more money than sense to buy the top end kit. Surely 2×11 will be better, reducing the front shift and crap chain line you get with triples.

scotroutes

This – and even then it’s mostly just what you read in forums and in the mags. Shimano know exactly what sells.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 3×11 xtr groupset?’ is closed to new replies.