Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano 2018? Brake q.
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Don’t know if anyone’s here’s got the ‘inside track’ on shimanos plans, but from a quick look on the Crc website i found some disc brake levers that are neither left nor right specific. I believe that the term is ‘flip-flop’.

Will this be part of a general trend in the future?

Certainly something I’d welcome, should I be hiring a bike in the alps.

Here’s the linky

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-deore-m575-disc-brakes/rp-prod87344

jakd95
    Free Member

They’re some vintage ones, at least 2 generations old (I think m596, m615 and maybe one more since then).

I can’t see them switching back to ‘flip-flop’ ones.

cp

As above, they’re old.

I can’t see them going back to flip flop either – more weight, more restrictive design etc…

P-Jay
    Free Member

First review is from 2013 which probably tells you all you need to know in regards to their age.

They weren’t the only ‘any way up’ levers about, but they offered little benefit to riders, I mean how many times do you need to switch? It was more about cost savings a single lever to design and make rather than two.

tomhoward

Certainly something I’d welcome, should I be hiring a bike in the alps.

The shop will (or should) ask you what your preference is when you hire it, then will swap the hoses if needs be.

It’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist for riders, just saves a few bob in production.

akira

Some manufacturers still send bikes out to the UK with European style brakes. Not the end of the world but it does annoy mechanics a bit.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

aaah…didn’t spot the review date!

Thanks for the input, folks:)

Much appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 2018? Brake q.’ is closed to new replies.