Viewing 11 posts - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)
  • Shimano 2011 – Is that it?
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Sram are inferior in every way in terms of action, build quality and price.

Shimano win, and no, I don't think 10 gears out back means you HAVE to have 2 up front. Personally I'll probably just go 1×10 when the time comes, but for most riders who want to run bash guards etc. the current Sram 2×10 is useless.

njee20
    Free Member

Actually aracer I was thinking more of wheels.

The lightest V-brake rim I can think of is the ZTR 355, at about 380g. The Innolite XCC250 gives you 260g on the rims alone, which goes a long way to offset the weight difference in the brakes. It was vaguely tongue in cheek, but I'm sure you've seen Ole's 970g disc brake wheels on Weight Weenies.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I rely on njee20 for my light wheel info! He's a polite young chap too.

When are the road 355s out?

njee20
    Free Member

From the NoTubes message board posted a couple of weeks ago:

Alpha 340 will be available this spring. It will be available in 32, 28, 24, & 18 holes. We will sell the rims by themselves in 32 or 28 holes only. Alpha 24 & 18 hole rims will only be available as custom wheel builds. Information on what hubs we will offer & prices for the rims and wheelsets will be announced soon.

Seems reasonable to assume a 340g weight then, which is pretty impressive!

Nice to know I can be relied on Al, my talent doesn't end at wheels though, I can do all light weight parts 🙂

Edit, and as an added bonus, here it is:

aracer
    Free Member

Actually aracer I was thinking more of wheels.

Yes, but if you're going there, you have to bear in mind that whilst disc rims might be lighter, if you're running rim brakes you can use rather lighter hubs.

http://m5recumbents.com/site/EN/_m5__Lightweight_bike_parts/Front_and_rear_hubs/

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers!

I CBA spending £££ on other stuff tbh – wjeels is biggest bang for buck, esp with stans.

If I use revs on the front on my rebuild I can lose 200gm!

juan
    Free Member

we'll go for a ride, you can show me some of your rad to the power sick skillz.

Well as soon as the flights resumes you can take the first flight to nice. I'll be happy to show you around…

The post I am referring to is the weight one. Plus I have just read you have been pedalling 3 hours on the big ring. So you're either god like cyclist and I bow in front of your fantastic riding level. Or you just happen to live in a very flat place with no mountain on it. The fact you ride with no camel back or spare tubes (once again referring to the weight post) gives away how 'engaged' your riding is.
    I may just be an average rider (actually below average buy my position in the group) but I would not go anywhere without water or a spare tube. Just because I don't fancy pushing my bike back to the car for 2 or 3 hours.

My friend matt (he won busas XC and finished second over all at gorrick series) actually tells me not to bother… He rode here and his words are: riding here is just another world (for both ups and down), it's important to be prepared.

So I am not gonna bother again.

Soup
    Free Member

'Sram are inferior in every way' ? What a ridiculous sweeping statement.

bigrich

so, in conclusion, worlds most expensive groupset works well.

solarider
    Free Member

Yep. After several deviations and blatant hijacking by retro-geeks, dr who geeks and finally extreme weight weenies (thanks to Njee for his usual polite and uncontroversial approach!) we come full circle back somewhere close to the original posting!

njee20
    Free Member

but I would not go anywhere without water

Neither would I, that's ridiculous, I merely carry mine in a bottle, not a bag on my back!

Or you just happen to live in a very flat place with no mountain on it

Are you educationally sub normal? You know where I live, of course there are no mountains here! There's a reasonable amount of climbing if you want to find it, but it's all short sharp stuff, there's nothing prolonged and I've never said otherwise.

I don't doubt the riding there is more technical, I've never disputed that, and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if you were a far better rider technically than me, I would hope you are living where you do. I'm glad 'Matt' enjoyed the riding there too, although the relevance of that is rather questionable!

What I fail to understand is how any of that is relevant for my choice to not carry a tube when I'm riding the hills local to me, having not needed one in a very long time? Not engaged in my riding? Shouldn't you be on MBUK or Pink Bike with talk like that? Or, better yet… stop being a failure and go out and get a **** job. Good lad.

Yes, but if you're going there, you have to bear in mind that whilst disc rims might be lighter, if you're running rim brakes you can use rather lighter hubs.

That being the dodgy roadie componentry to which I was refering! Even so, the lightest rear hub M5 do appear to be 183g, which is heavier than the fabled Tune Dezibel or the Extralite Ultradisc hubs.

Anyway, that's going to extremes. I did say that my comment was tongue in cheek, and what I meant was that innovation has largely come in disc brake, not rim brake components. Ie… I'll wager a full XTR bike with XC717 rims and v-brakes is close in weight to one with full XX, ZTR Podium wheels and disc brakes.

Viewing 11 posts - 161 through 171 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 2011 – Is that it?’ is closed to new replies.