Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • Shimano 2011 – Is that it?
  • solarider
    Free Member

Pertwee? Pah, 3 x 7 Alivio in a 2 x 10 XX world!

Raouligan
    Free Member

I've just had a quick re-read of Sheldon, and that's pretty much confirmed my prejudice of crossover gearing and the advantages of using a triple.

Maybe for racing and for people changing kit quite a lot they'll be great.

italspark
    Free Member

i hear campag euclid is on the way back

bigrich

Yep.

Pedal until knackered then change up.

Although I was 18 when it was 7, 21 when it was 8 and fat when it was 9.

In conclusion, who cares? The only people who need 2×10 get given it for free.

solarider
    Free Member

Euclid. Now that really was a groupset, as was the original XTR pictured. But Campagnolo 11 speed off road? Some people on here would explode at the blasphemy!

20 year old XT hubs? And you have the balls to accuse me of not riding enough?!! Get 'em ridden and worn out!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Of the recent Doctors, I think Bernie Ecclescake was good, but Neil Tennant was soooo irritating. Couldn't stand him. The new Doctor is a bit weird, a bit geeky, scruffy and mysterious, like Doctor Who should be. Amy Pond is sexy and attractive, but the sort of girl you could meet on a night out, get drunk with and arrange to meet the following weekend for a nice meal in Rasa's in Stoke Newington Church St. Maybe a drink later at the Auld Shillelagh, but don't be expecting too much because she's a nice lass and you might want to settle down with her.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yeah I still like on a triple how I can slam from fast downhill to steep uphill in 3 clicks.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

ELECTRIC SHIMANO XTR.
    XTRii….15SPD ,4 CHAINRINGS,CARBON TUBS WHEELS WEIGHING 230GS FOR THE SET.!!!!!
    just wait sram will look soo silly soon..
    bruce

solarider
    Free Member

Talkemada – that sounds like quite an incredibly detailed and overly-thought fantasy! See my comment above. You definitely need to get out and ride more.

ooOOoo – you can still do that with 2 up front, but you only need to shift once instead of twice. Already you can see the benefits!

Bikebruce – 15 speed with 4 chainrings. How's that going to work then? Honestly, even the standard of maths in the heckling is deteriorating round here!

njee20
    Free Member

He means 15×4, we don't talk about 21/24/27 speed, keep up!

confirmed my prejudice of crossover gearing and the advantages of using a triple.

Crossover gears are much lessened with a double, big/big effectively becomes middle/big, how have people not realised this!? I can confirm that XX runs really nicely in 42/36, it's probably not ideal from a wear POV, but I'll use it, particularly in a race.

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm strangely attracted to a race bike with 2X10 and V brakes.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well she might let you touch her knee, but if you tried anything more, she might get a bit fidgety, indicating that she wants to take things a little more slowly perhaps. The fact that she let you touch her knee is a good sign, though; if she resisted that, then you know your chances were nil. She'd just want to be 'friends'.

Then, you'd see here out the next week with your mate, and she'd be letting him touch her bottom.

Women are cruel… 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

These days, unless you use proper roadie equipment you can go lighter with discs!

Soup
    Free Member

How the hell am I supposed to keep up with the 2×10 crowd now with my slower front shifting? Jesus – shut up and ride!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

ooOOoo – you can still do that with 2 up front, but you only need to shift once instead of twice. Already you can see the benefits!

But you have a narrower spread of ratios. So you must have to shift more on the back.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

yeah frm db 250 brakes…

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm strangely attracted to a race bike with 2X10 and V brakes

Wasn't a bloke up in Scotland arrested for that sort of thing last year?

njee20
    Free Member

yeah frm db 250 brakes…

Hmmm, I was thinking of components that work 🙂

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I have been 1×9 for a very long time, no need for me to have 2 or 3 x9 as I they only add 4 extra gears none which I really use, and can get by changing the front cog if I really want too.

1×10 will be kinda good as it will mean I hope that I can have half a road block and half an MTB block and therefore run a 34T rescue gear when I blow my legs out. 3×10 seems a bit pointless but then I think that of 2×9 so makes no difference to me. Only those racing XC will really gain anything and even then not much.
    You really gain very little other closer gear ratio's which for some is ok, for others its pointless.

The thing that gets my goat is that to upgrade in a year or two you will have to buy a completly new draintrain and therefore it will cost a fortune to do.

njee20
    Free Member

it will mean I hope that I can have half a road block and half an MTB block

Why would you want to? That sounds ridiculous! What does the bottom end of a road block give you than an MTB one doeesn't? Or are you literally thinking of using the 32/36 with the rest of a road cassette, that'll shift beautifully!

westkipper
    Free Member

I was really looking forward to 10s XTR, as I want full cassette/chainset compatibility with road shifters for the non-purist crossbike.
    Now its just a choice between cheap heavy-ish XT or silly-money SRAM XX.
    So I'm not too happy either way.

njee20
    Free Member

XTR will go 10 speed, they've just not unveiled it yet.

You could do that combo anyway though, XX cassette (or Funworks ti which is slightly cheaper), with a Shimano MTB mech.

Mister-P
    Free Member

You can already buy 10 speed Shimano compatible MTB size cassettes. The name will come to me in a moment…

Mister-P
    Free Member
    westkipper
    Free Member

Yeah? I thought the biggest that they did was a 27t.
    I'm waiting 'til I wear out my existing 9s cassette before replacing the whole system.

solarider
    Free Member

Now its just a choice between cheap heavy-ish XT or silly-money SRAM XX.

Nope. XO, X9 and X7 are all going 10 speed next year. Plus XTR is yet to be announced. There will be a separate announcement as they didn't want to detract from it by launching at the same time as XT and SLX which aren't actually that revolutionary.

XTR is a ground-up rework, so needs its own 'space'.

devs
    Free Member

Solarider yesterday

Shimano is a year ahead because if SRAM don't bring out 3×10 I'll eat my hat. 🙂

There will be no 10 speed here. 9 speed ain't up to the job. I'm going down to 8 speed when my current stuff wears out!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Look at 'is Rolex Stanloy…!

oldgit
    Free Member

GXP bottom bracket on the X9, worst B/B in my cycling history assuming it's the same as the Truvativ Team chainset one?

solarider
    Free Member

LOL. 😀

DeVs yesterday?

DeVs next year when SRAM don't release 3 x 10 because 2 x 10 is great and 3 x 10 completely misses the point?!

My comments on XTR were meant to be slightly tongue in cheek, but if you had a new and totally reworked flagship to announce, would you do it at the same time as a partial rehash of 2 lower groupsets?

oldgit
    Free Member

Because I'm tempted by this and my drivetrain needs an overhaul and I can get both at trade I'm all a dither.
    With one bike I've one choice and with Transalp 2011 in mind I think I need the 3X9, but want the 2X9.

njee20
    Free Member

X.0 or X.9 in a 2×9, 26/39 chainset with 11-36 cassette. Gives you virtually the same bottom gear as a 22/32.

solarider
    Free Member

If you have an issue with the Truvativ BB, buy SRAM despite it, wait until the BB needs replacing then fit a Hope. Job done. You'll only have to do the same with Shimano eventually anyway. Having said that, my experience of Truvativ BBs isn't that bad.

Raouligan
    Free Member

Chainline is better with a triple as long as you're not using crossover gears I'd have thought?

Also 2×10 is an encouragement to use smalxsmall which is the most wearing of all the combinations.

It's amazing how these new gears systems have taken away the traditional problems of derailleur gears and chain drives, if that's what a 10 speed blck enables you to do the Campagnolo 11 speed must be earth shattering….

solarider
    Free Member

There is an issue using the outer rings of a triple with the extremeties at the back for sure. However, the 2 rings up front are positioned well within the outer extremities of what would have been a triple setup. Therefore, the lateral play is less. Coupled with a slightly thinner chain, it's not so much of a problem. Agreed it hasn't eliminated the basic principles of chain crossover but it has minimised them.

I am running 11 speed Campag on my road bikes, and I can tell you that the 11th cog is not so earth shattering. It doesn't increase your range, but instead reduces the gaps in between gears. Not such a big deal for amateurs, although the Pros love it apparently.

However, the 10th cog offroad is more fundamental. It is just the extra needed to run a double up front and still have a wide and usable range out back without big gaps. So, whilst 11 speed on the road offers only minor advantages over 10 speed, 10 speed offroad is the tipping point to a completely different front setup. So, big difference between the 2.

njee20
    Free Member

Chainline is better with a triple as long as you're not using crossover gears I'd have thought?

How do you figure? You get rid of the extremes, and surely big/big is far more wearing than small/small, the angle's vastly more acute. You don't have that combination on a 2×9 effectively.

oldgit
    Free Member

I haven't got the balls to just buy it, I'd want to test it first.
    Anyway youve tried and tested it of course. I still feel like I'd be giving up or losing something.
    Like I said in my earlier posts I use the middle and about three gears out back 95% of the time, so fine for that.
    Racing? yes I see the advantage.
    But for all day epics like the Transalp I'm not so sure.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, I wouldn't change back for doing the Trans Alp, I didn't change to do a 12 hour solo when I was running 2×9 either, depends on your riding style/strength really!

cynic-al
    Free Member

How do you figure? You get rid of the extremes, and surely big/big is far more wearing than small/small, the angle's vastly more acute. You don't have that combination on a 2×9 effectively.

The extremes are only "less extreme" by half the distance between chainrings.

solarider
    Free Member

Oldgit. I can understand your reluctance. As Njee20 said, if your current kit isn't worn out, it's probably not worth changing for the sake of it. But if (like you, and like me at the time) you need to change anyway, and you can get it cheap, it's a no brainer.

The point is that

1) You don't lose gear range (same as 2 x 9)
    2) All of the gears are usable with little duplication (unlike 3 x 9)
    3) Front shifting is quicker (rings can be thicker and stiffer, plus the matched pairs of chainrings inherently shift better, plus you are only ever in 1 of 2 rather than 1 of 3 gears up front)

And all combined with a weight saving.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 2011 – Is that it?’ is closed to new replies.