Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano 1×11 – notchy in lowest gear
  • dmorts

I’ve got a new 1×11 setup and I’m finding the lowest gear isn’t smooth and feels ‘notchy’, even under no load, spinning the pedals with the bike in a stand.

I’ve got a 30T RaceFace cog up front and 42T rear XT cassette. All of the other gears appear to be fine. Any ideas?

B-screw and low (L) screw adjustments appear to make no difference. I set the chain length by wrapping around the largest cogs and adding 2 links, as per Shimano instructions

scotroutes

1x 11 chainline isn’t great. Assuming you’ve one spacer on the BB you could try moving it to the non-drive side. Check cranks and chaining aren’t hitting the chain stays if you do this.

tmb467
    Free Member

just dont pedal backwards…

otsdr
    Free Member

Bit of a useless advice, but moving to a 32T ring would allow you to space it inwards a bit more than the offset built into the 30T.

benpinnick

You should start by adjusting the chainline on your cranks unless you’ve done that already. The Aeffect is 51 out of the box I think but will go narrower.

weeksy

tmb467 – Member

Funnily enough, i noticed this the other day on my Kona… what’s that all about then ?

dmorts

I had a feeling it could be the chain line, will have a look at what I can adjust spacer wise. Cranks are RaceFace triple with the single ring in the middle ring position.

Check cranks and chaining aren’t hitting the chain stays if you do this

Indeed, heels can start clipping the stays too

tmb467
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    tmb467 – Member
    Funnily enough, i noticed this the other day on my Kona… what’s that all about then ?

Poor chainline really – the qfactor on my cranks means I’m already in as far as I can go (ahem) and it still happens. Basically, new chains arent laterally flexible enough to cope with the gap between top of chain ring and top of largest cog (especially when you’ve got a clutch mech in the mix)

just suck it up really unless you’ve got enough spacers to allow you to centre the chainring

weeksy

Thanks for the info.

mccraque

mine was fine until I changed the chain (save for the pedal back in 42 tooth and lose chain)…and then, chain replacement later, it was very notchy.

Messed about with the limit screws with no success. It seemed that the rear mech was very close to the 42 tooth…. if I pulled the cage forward fractionally (a couple of MM) , the problem disappeared.

Oddly,I took the wheel off, put it back on and all seems fine. Long may it continue.

chakaping
    Free Member

Does it do it when you’re on the bike?

Was worse in the stand when I first set up XT 1×11.

Then it kind of “wore in” and got better as I rode it.

weeksy

chakaping – Member

Does it do it when you’re on the bike?

Was worse in the stand when I first set up XT 1×11.

Then it kind of “wore in” and got better as I rode it.

Mine ? Dunno… only noticed it when a mate passed me the bike backwards in the garage, tehn i spun the cranks, tried it again up with it ‘hung’ by the seatpost and it did it too… But not tried it out on the trails… I’m out for a day on the Kona tomorrow so i’ll give it a whirl whilst out.

chakaping
    Free Member

I meant the OP Weeksy, but my comment applies to you as well of course

😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 1×11 – notchy in lowest gear’ is closed to new replies.