Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano 180mm rotors with Avid brakes?
  • 13thfloormonk

Sorry, I’m sure this has been done before, has anyone run an Avid Brake with a 180mm shimano rotor?

Avid rotors are scary pricey compared to shimano ones!

bland

Rotors should be fine but shimano’s are 180mm and avid are 185 so you may need shimano mounts.

Not sure if a 185 mount that comes with the brakes will sit ok with the 180mm discs???

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Just run a 180mm adaptor. all will be fine.

13thfloormonk

Ahh… of course.

Its a post-to-post mount, so a shimano 180mm post-to-post adaptor will work fine, yes?

Sounds obvious, but I’m always suspicious that the callipers are different shapes or something.

bland

everything is standard other than the disc diameter and thickness which varies slightly, generally the cheaper ones are fatter.

Im going to do just the same as i have 180mm shimano rotors and the 185 avids can go the way of the bay

13thfloormonk

Nice one, cheers guys, I’m not usually this much of a dunce mechanically, just have a deep fear of disc brake standards and mounts… 😀

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

The Tri Align system Avid employ confuses matters as their calipers are designed to run with it.
    As they use 185mm adaptors, it makes sense to assume removing the washers would space the caliper at 180.
    You need to make the mistake of trying it to find out most of the time though, coz Who reads manuals?
    Who has the time?
    That’s what the LBS is for.
    And for a nominal charge and maybe some cake, they’ll just do the job competently (if they’re any good) while you’re at work.
    And your weekend will be trouble free riding.

*edit- Appauling grammar corrected. Frankly, I’m ashamed. My apologies if you read this before the correction.

13thfloormonk

Haha, don’t start the LBS chat on me, I spent three years working there and patronise the place plenty (with the occasional packet of biscuits thrown in). 8)

I’ve not gone to them this time as after buying several bikes and plenty parts in various stores around edinburgh (and securing one lucky store most of the custom from my office!) I’ve decided to go ultra cheap and buy on-line 😳 .

13thfloormonk

Aha, well for anyone else attempting this I have just discovered that Shimano rotors with the spiders (XT in my case) don’t sit well with Avid brakes as the tab at the bottom of the brake pad hits the spider where its rivetted to the disc.

I’m hoping a 180mm disc will work, may just need to run 180s front and rear instead of 180/160.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 180mm rotors with Avid brakes?’ is closed to new replies.