Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • shimano 180mm and avid 185 rotors
  • breninbeener

Due to the mega shambles that is my life, and in particular my garage, our household has numerous bikes and wheelsets, with different size brake rotors. The shimano braked bikes have 180mm rotors and the Avid brakedbikes have 185 rotors. With a difderence of 5mm diameter, so 2.5mm radius, can i just swap wheelsets and ignore the rotor size?

Or am i going to have compatability issues and have to use spacers etc….or worse still buy more stuff?

swamptin
    Free Member

If you space out the brake with some washers it’ll be fine. Alternately, if both hubs are 6 bolt, you could swap the rotors over as well as the wheels and keep the same rotor for the relevant brake.

spawnofyorkshire

No you need a different adaptor to get the brakes and discs to line up properly.
    You can run Avid brakes with Shim rotors and vice versa but it needs a little more faffing to make sure they’re lined up right

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

I’ve got Shimano calipers and Avid rotors at the moment. Spaced out by 2.5mm and their absolutely fine. No faff with adapters needed either

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘shimano 180mm and avid 185 rotors’ is closed to new replies.